Greatest British athlete/sports person?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
And babies born in a plane over an ocean?

Aeroplanians?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
You bandy the words ignorant and thick around, but you clearly are a hypocrite.

Are you ignorant of the fact that Farah resides in the USA, or just thick that you don't understand the implications of that and his nationalised British citizen status?

Citius

Farah chose to be a nationalised Brit and it is to be welcomed, but he does not abide by a clear Gov rule "You'll continue to live in the UK"

A high number of elite athletes live and train abroad, but it doesn't stop them from being classed as UK resident. Why should Farah be any different?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
No - it's just plain old ignorance. You probably can't help it...but it doesn't excuse it.
The crux of the whole point of this is..
Mo Farah was born in Somalia not the UK...
plain and simple..

I wish you and the other poster well...
I enjoyed the healthy debate....
I bear no grudges
but I've some good old cider and pub grub to go enjoy.....

Citius

Because we don't have the adequate (tax payer-funded) training facilities to help them......hang on - London 2012 - Oh yes we do.......:wacko:

So you are saying that every elite athlete that currently trains abroad should be made to come home and train in the UK? Or does that rule only apply to Farah?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
So you are saying that every elite athlete that currently trains abroad should be made to come home and train in the UK? Or does that rule only apply to Farah?
I (and I would think any responsible BRITISH taxpayer) should question why we are legally obliged to pay taxes that are frittered away on showpiece white elephants that the 'Jewels in the Crown' athletes only set foot in once every 4 years or so for 15 minutes, before hopping on the next fast jet to a preferable location.

Citius

....but then you consider that only the paperwork matters, paperwork drawn up to suit the situation some politicos wish to achieve.

Farah came to the UK when he was 8 and (I believe) didn't start running until he was 12 - are you saying the 'politicos' has some kind of long term conspiratorial plan for him back then???

Citius

I (and I would think any responsible BRITISH taxpayer) should question why we are legally obliged to pay taxes that are frittered away on showpiece white elephants that the 'Jewels in the Crown' athletes only set foot in once every 4 years or so for 15 minutes, before hopping on the next fast jet to a preferable location.

So we've moved on from Farah 'not being British' to ranting about the IOC..?? You still haven't answered the question, by the way. I'll ask it again:

Is it only Farah that should be made to train in the UK, or is it all elite UK athletes?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
So we've moved on from Farah 'not being British' to ranting about the IOC..?? You still haven't answered the question, by the way. I'll ask it again:

Is it only Farah that should be made to train in the UK, or is it all elite UK athletes?
ALL British athletes that benefit fiscally from BRITISH nationality/government funding/training facilities should IMO live/train/win in the UK

Are you saying that we should fund elite athletes to live/train elsewhere (because the UK isn't good enough?) and that the only requirement to scoff from the trough is to fill a trophy cabinet and pose for a few pics with fans before diving into the VIP lounge at Heathrow departures?

Top Bottom