Grey Giant Escape M0 stolen from central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skrx

My bike was stolen earlier this evening/night :-(.

I don't have much to add, except that it was locked to a decent Sheffield stand in a busy street (Strand) with a "sold secure - gold" lock. A nice-looking racing bike was on the other side of the stand when I locked my bike there, and there were only a couple of spaces left on the 8 stands. When I got back there was only one rusty bike, and "7.5" empty stands -- I reckon someone took several bikes.

It's reported to the police (online, after I was told at CX police station that I'd have to wait an hour and the result would be the same), and marked as stolen on immobilise.com.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry to hear that from another M0 owner...:rolleyes: is it insured?

OP
OP
S

skrx

It is insured, so I should only lose out by the excess (and not having a decent bike for however long it takes for the claim to go through, and presumably my insurance premium increasing).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have the insurance company given you any idea how long it will take and whether they just send you the money? Don't forget the things on the bike like mudguards? or pannier rack etc.

j_whyte

sorry to take this off topic but is there any lock that you can leave your bike chained up with in full confidence that it's going to still be there when you get back?

OP
OP
S

skrx

joolsybools said:
Any joy finding it on Gumtree/Ebay?

I forgot to look, as I was on holiday.

This looks like a stolen bike advert, and was posted the weekend after mine was stolen.

I'll phone him this evening (witholding my number of course).

OP
OP
S

skrx

I decided not to phone him, as it's not going to achieve anything (the bike is likely long gone, as the advert's been removed from Gumtree. If I want to swear at him I can do so next month).

I searched the mobile number given in the advert on Google, and about 10 adverts for stolen bikes come up, each one signed with a different name. The guy goes on holiday a lot! He's always having to sell his bike -- and at less than half it's worth!

I've written to the Police "Safer Neighbourhoods" team for the area the bike was stolen from. I'll probably write to my MP too. It surely isn't that difficult for the police to sort this kind of organised crime out.

Top Bottom