Group set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
8 speed to 11 speed
Assuming the same ratio cassette 12 -25 eg less jumps between gears so easier to keep on top of ideal cadence
A bit lighter, eat 1 less biscuit a day for a week and you will save it off your body.
Some say that 10-11 speed chains do not last as long and cost more
You will need a new rear wheel as i very much doubt stock wheels on the defy will have the dishing/ hub to take 11 speed.
I have seen 11 speed 105 for under £300 which is supposed to be the best balance between price and performance .
If you can afford it why not but do not expect it to make you any faster , just read an article about a sportive in france where they only time you up the mountain sections and the winner did it in sandals with flats .

No way could I get up a mountain with punctured tyres - I'm impressed!

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Maybe I'm just misunderstood.
This isn't a systematic attack on cycling, but rather questions we should all raise. (Maybe I can't defend myself for the fear of being called a "troll".

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My question is, are you happy to pay 5/6/7/8/9/10 thousand pounds for bikes that really cost 100s to make. This is my point.
Yes. Are you happy having paid whatever you did for a bike you admit is more than you need?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The reality in a free market economy is that the pricing structure follows what people are prepared to pay. If no one bought it the prices would be lower. As it is there are plenty of people that will drop that, and a lot more money on their hobbies.

Is it right? Only you and your wallet can decide.
Personally I'd love a mega-light-super-duper-hi-tech bike but I'm not prepared to pay the money I'd need to pay. Lots of people will though.

A long time ago someone I know saved and saved to buy a Porsche 911. He didn't have a mega job and would probably have been 'better off' with a Ford fiesta, but he wanted it and he saved a long time for it and so...good for him, it's his cash.

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Tight Yorkshire man here maybe I should've mentioned that.
It's not really a "free economy" I would say "capitalist economy" but I know a appreciate what you're saying

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just spotted this on wiggle, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-6800-ultegra-11-speed-groupset-compact/
what's the advantage of spending this amount on this sort of thing, so far I can't see why you would, how my bike comes standard is very capable. (not looking to buy one)

Whilst I'm not totally au-fait with the bling-o-meter rating of various things in the Shimano pecking order, 500 notes for everything bar the hubs doesn't seem excessive for top-end but one set of bits. Once you're over the junk threshold, you tend to by and large get what you pay for, until you get into top-end bling. But that looks like quite a good deal to me. Wouldn't suit me, as I'd want a triple, lower gearing generally, but bang for your buck seems OK to me.

Just because you can get a whole bike from Tesco for the price of two good tyres doesn't mean the tyres aren't the better buy. Not dissing the OP's bike, and clearly you can get decent enough kit for less than £500. Where does "good enough" start - £250 maybe? with the whole bike coming in at £400 to £500 - or maybe a bit less

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
New to road Nigel, I just can't understand why a cog and gears is so expensive, the same price as my whole bike. Now I am just bitching.

Hello mate, I'm in the same boat as you with this.

I bought my bike because my car cost me too much to run, so it was a pure swap and having read up about parts wearing out, you need to be clued in as to what to expect years down the line - nobody seems to want to tell you this when you buy the thing though, but I'm very, very glad I did swap, because it's been a complete lifestyle change for me.

There are cheaper group sets out there, for under £300 ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115086 ) and you can buy parts as and when though. Personally, as a commuter, I'd be going for the cheaper stuff rather than the pricey bits & bobs, because I'm pretty sure that most of it would wear out at the same time and unless you're going to be racing, I can't see the point - I'm a defy 5 as well by the way...2014 though, so high 5 on that :cheers:

Top Bottom