Group set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last time I looked Sora 9sp shifters about £90-£100 105 about the £130 mark @Profpointy this is triple by the way, for the extra the extra gear along is a god send, not convinced by shimano dropping the triple option though, I am not getting into gearing options been through in many times, lets just say I have a good range of gears closely grouped with low gearing something you don't get with a compact a better chain line (less wear).
There is about £10 difference between the 105 and Sora RD, less for the FD and cassettes ( I think) the 2,000 miles since mid July have been a joy compared with the sora, it's like buying a top quality lens and a mid range one, images are sharper with more contrast and tend to be faster, at the level of cycling I am at, I don't need anything higher than what I have.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oooh, shiny!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I neatly side stepped the group set envy wars by going down the hub gear route with my Woodrup Chimera. The only thing that I've worn out in two and a half years is a pair of tyres and a set of brake block pads. I've changed the hub gear oil twice. I've adjusted the belt tension once. Total maintenance time excluding cleaning over that time is less than an hour.

Money well spent.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would expect to be able to buy whole bike for that money with the same equipment on and keep mine :smile:
I think the defy is more then i need really, I just think it's silly that all of the shiny bits for cycles cost a packet, when r&d costs fudge all, compared to motorcycling, cycling is ridiculous with it's pricing, and you don't put as much physical effort into motorcycling.

Why do you say R&D costs fudge all? How have motorbikes changed in the last 10-20 years for example? Then look at advances in bicycles, materials, manufacture, styling. There's also marketing, sponsorship, employment to consider

I would personally say a fast motorbike is a complete waste of money if not riding professionally on the track...unless you want to ride around at stupid speeds like a c***

I feel able to spend my money on whatever bike or parts I like even though I'll ultimately never be able to ride most bikes to the potential that others may. On the groupset thing...my most recent purchase doesn't have one per se being single speed and all :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just spotted this on wiggle, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-6800-ultegra-11-speed-groupset-compact/
what's the advantage of spending this amount on this sort of thing, so far I can't see why you would, how my bike comes standard is very capable. (not looking to buy one)
Not everyone walks into a shop and comes out with a complete bike. Many people buy the frame of their choice, fit the groupset, wheels and finishing kit of their choice and end up with the standard of bike they want. Just because you are happy with your budget off the shelf job doesn't mean others who wish to have a bike of a higher spec are wrong.

I'm quite happy with my £150 camera, it can do everything I need but I'd never criticise anyone who spent a grand or more on theirs. People get into a sport or hobby at differing levels and as in anything the law of diminishing returns applies, spending twice the amount doesn't get double the benefits, but if people are happy to increase their purchasing budget for relatively marginal gains good luck to them.

And cycling is ridiculously expensive compared to motorcycling? What did you have, a radio controlled model? Try a set of tyres or a chain and sprocket set for even a moderate middle weight hack.

It's a conversation that has been had a million times before, and probably will be a million more times. A Surgeon could probably remove your appendix with a tin opener and a mallet from Millets. Why would he, when he can have refined instruments? For me, the better group sets are about feel and refinement.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's like posh wine isn't it. Some people buy it because they have discriminating tastes, and really can tell the difference; some buy it because they like to think they do, but don't really, and others buy it just for the swank. I wouldn't see fit to criticise any of these. There's nothing wrong with being sophisticated, aspiring to be sophisticated or liking swank.

If you were somehow to secretly upgrade my 10 speed cassette to 11 speed, and leave everything else working the same, I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't notice, so I won't be getting one soon.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
It's a conversation that has been had a million times before, and probably will be a million more times. A Surgeon could probably remove your appendix with a tin opener and a mallet from Millets. Why would he, when he can have refined instruments? For me, the better group sets are about feel and refinement.

ohhhhhh, speaking of which - have you seen this?!?! It's really quite stunning, in a stupid kind of a way...I was like :eek:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDOv3439GI

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Why? A freehub removal tool can be had from around £2, likewise chain whip. Why not forgo a couple of pints and buy the proper tools. And no, groupsets are not expensive IMO. (Compared with other luxuries - illustration : 1pint beer = aprox £3, 2-3 pints, 3 times a week = £18 - £27 = £936 - £1404 per annum. Conclusion: booze is expensive).

Why? A freehub removal tool can be had from around £2, likewise chain whip. Why not forgo a couple of pints and buy the proper tools. And no, groupsets are not expensive IMO. (Compared with other luxuries - illustration : 1pint beer = aprox £3, 2-3 pints, 3 times a week = £18 - £27 = £936 - £1404 per annum. Conclusion: booze is expensive).
And pretty wasteful.

@Dogtrousers depends where that extra gear is, would notice if someone put an 18th between my 17 and 19th, so pretty sure I would tell if they put it anywhere else, mind you the biggest give away would be the odd shifters, as 11sp is not available in a triple, as we all know.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's like posh wine isn't it. Some people buy it because they have discriminating tastes, and really can tell the difference; some buy it because they like to think they do, but don't really, and others buy it just for the swank. I wouldn't see fit to criticise any of these. There's nothing wrong with being sophisticated, aspiring to be sophisticated or liking swank.

If you were somehow to secretly upgrade my 10 speed cassette to 11 speed, and leave everything else working the same, I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't notice, so I won't be getting one soon.
Well you would notice as it would sound like a bag of spanners and won't index or shift right :smile:

ohhhhhh, speaking of which - have you seen this?!?! It's really quite stunning, in a stupid kind of a way...I was like :eek:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDOv3439GI

Why on earth would anyone want to do it like that?

image.jpg

There I have everything I need to do the job. It's about 30 quid's worth (including the Torque wrench). After 2 cassette changes, it had paid for itself in labour costs alone (I applied man math's there).

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Why on earth would anyone want to do it like that?

There I have everything I need to do the job. It's about 30 quid's worth (including the Torque wrench). After 2 cassette changes, it had paid for itself in labour costs alone (I applied man math's there).

Mmm, beggars belief doesn't it, but some of the comments on the tube actually seem grateful...as though they've just cottoned onto something amazing, probably forgetting in the meantime that buying the tools to mess their bikes up, like he probably will do one day, will set them back further. I just wonder how it is that he ventured onto the idea in the first place! Has to be a drunk thing!! Surely!!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
the biggest give away would be the odd shifters, as 11sp is not available in a triple, as we all know.

Well you would notice as it would sound like a bag of spanners and won't index or shift right :smile:
^_^ I did think of that, which was why I stipulated that the magic upgrade would have to "leave everything else working the same".

I have two bikes. One has 10 at the back, and the other has 7 (non-indexed). To me they aren't particularly different riding experiences. The biggest difference to me is the saddles. To someone who is more in tune with their cadence, and who pushes hard to go fast, the missing 3 gears would probably be a massive difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom