GT Grade 105 Alloy or Felt Z75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JMAG

Über Member
I was thinking of getting the carbon Z6 at £838 and replacing the tiagra groupset with the recently upgraded 105 5800 groupset on my current bike, but £600 for the Z75 is so tempting. Only thing is it's not much of an upgrade over my existing bike.

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
Update:
I finally got to ride my new Z75disc this weekend as it was my birthday - albeit only for 20 minutes (bloody weather!)
Discs took a while to bed in as was to be expected. Handling is similar to my Defy 1 if not slightly more aggressive positioning.
I opted for a 56 frame as I was borderline for sizing at 5ft10in and compared to my M/L frame Giant it still feels good and not overstretched.

I bought a Zefal Swan/Croozer Road Mudguard Set Black from Wiggle for £8.99.

Now I am looking for a set of winter tires to replace the All Weather 25c that come fitted. Ideally a set of 28mm if anyone can recommend any ?
I note a previous post Addman100 mentioned 28mm Vittoria Zaffiro - is that this one ?
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Vittoria-Za...ign=Adwords&gclid=CKKUy-SEq8gCFcOv2wod3PICHQ#

BenScoobert

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
Not quite a year but I've been out a dozen times or so and my initial comments still stand. What I have noticed is the disc brakes are no more effective than rim brakes in stopping or locking up the wheels. In fact I can lock up my rear easily on my Defy 1 rim brakes but really have to pull on the Felt brakes. May just need fettling though.
That said they do work a lot better through a puddle than rim brakes :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If I am reading it right the GT has the cable Hydro brakes where as the Felt has normal cable pull? Both bikes look like around 10.5kg which I wouldn't have thought was much lighter than the Croix de fer?

I think the cable hydro would swing it for me.

If you can squeeze a deal out of the bike shop the Al X looks better value but £400 more but full force hydro brakes and almost 2kg lighter? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-al-x-2016/

I have GT Carbon and done almost 3k on it over the winter and it is a nice ride and Hydro brakes are night and day between BB5/7 cable pull that I have owned in the past. Not a super nippy climber but fantastic all rounder

Top Bottom