Hair clipper oil on chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use sewing machine oil, does the job nicely, I would imagine it`s more or less the same stuff so go for it.

I`m not a fan of the bike specific chain oils, never have been, they are too thick and usually turn to varnish if you don`t use the bike for a while

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
will use some GT85 till the bottle arrives. should last me decades. I often cut hair wet and lots of reviews for my clippers said keep them oiled

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I think hair clipper oil is just mineral oil.

Mineral oil is non-toxic, doesn't smell, doesn't go off or get sticky so it works well for a lot of things.
You can even drink it - food grade mineral oil is sold as a laxative.

It's fairly thin so it might need frequent re-application to a bicycle chain but I imagine it would work ok.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you're thinking of doing it for financial reasons I'd just buy the Prolink Progold (which I also use and think is excellent) in 16oz bottles rather than 4oz, which virtually halves the price.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are dozens of different grades or weights of mineral oil, from EP90 as used in transmissions right up to oils, which are so light as to be volatile. That's a simplification of a very complex picture.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are dozens of different grades or weights of mineral oil, from EP90 as used in transmissions right up to oils, which are so light as to be volatile. That's a simplification of a very complex picture.

Indeed. A mineral is simply a naturally occurring chemical compound, yet the word has been strangely seized upon by the lentil eating ant huggers. The good old fashioned Castrol GTX that your Dad put in his Marina was a mineral oil.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Indeed. A mineral is simply a naturally occurring chemical compound, yet the word has been strangely seized upon by the lentil eating ant huggers. The good old fashioned Castrol GTX that your Dad put in his Marina was a mineral oil.

Fair enough. I think the term is fairly established as the stuff you can get from a pharmacy though despite being technically vague. Also, wasn't old Castrol engine oil made from beans?

Colin_P

Guru
Sometime back in 1998... or was it 97? ... I bought four litres of the red Ford transmission oil to do a gearbox oil change but never did. I'm about 3/4's way through the first one litre bottle using it for bike chain oiling duties. I'll never have to buy any more!

As for my hair, I still have quite a lot of it and go to the barbers to get it cut.

Top Bottom