Hair clipper oil on chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I use sewing machine oil

Funnily enough, I use sewing machine oil on my hair clippers.

I don't use it on my bike chain though.

davidphilips

Veteran
Sometime back in 1998... or was it 97? ... I bought four litres of the red Ford transmission oil to do a gearbox oil change but never did. I'm about 3/4's way through the first one litre bottle using it for bike chain oiling duties. I'll never have to buy any more!

As for my hair, I still have quite a lot of it and go to the barbers to get it cut.

Thats what i have been using for my bikes for the last few years and find atf is great just thin enough to get into the chain links and easy to dry of the excess seems great for bike chains.

Colin_P

Guru
[QUOTE 5015775, member: 9609"]does it not stink ? a lot of gear oils smell bad (esp for hypoid), i think it is due to sulphur additives to toughen it up.

Up until the 1970s all heavy duty diffs, many heavy duty gearboxes + maybe all autoboxes used Whale Oil as it outperformed all the mineral oils of the day, the ban on hunting whales prompted the development of sulphur enriched mineral oils, which some say still don't perform as well as the Sperm Whale oil.[/QUOTE]

Nonus stinkus.

I hate the smell of normal gearbox oil and would have ditched it years ago if it was.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use chain oil on my bike chains. Am I weird?

Top Bottom