Hangar rail for locker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Thought I'd ask in here.

We've just had some lockers installed at work. They are about 40cm max wide but they only have one hook. I'd like (need) more hooks (to hang shirts/trousers etc) and ideally I think the best solution would be a hangar rail.

But there's nowhere inside to drill/attach the rail to.

I've done a bit of searching for an expandable/telescopic rail but they all seem to be too wide.

I'm sure a few of you have novel solutions.:smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My local Poundland has a set of three narrow (read childrens sometimes) hangers that might do. I have the same problem getting my kit in my locker. If there is no rail to hang the hanger on then look at the window poles you can get. They use a spring to hold the 1cm wide pole up against two walls. I've seen them down to 30cm in some places so you might get lucky, if not some cable hung up inside works.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PVC Plumbing pipe. Cut it slightly too long. Take a hacksaw in to work if needed. If too short you can wedge a piece of cardbord in.

I've done two in my locker like this - got a photo on here somewhere. It wedges itself in place being slightly too long.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK, but how have you attached it?

With nothing - It's a few mm's too long, so pressure keeps it up with a full load. No drilling or stuff so doesn't hiss off the Facilities team. 22mm PVC plumbing pipe. About £10 for a 2m run.

I've just wedged it in, if its too long and bends, just cut some off with a hacksaw.

It works and makes no mess of the locker. If you've cut a little short, wedge some card between the pipe and side of locker.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
With nothing - It's a few mm's too long, so pressure keeps it up with a full load. No drilling or stuff so doesn't hiss off the Facilities team. 22mm PVC plumbing pipe. About £10 for a 2m run.

I've just wedged it in, if its too long and bends, just cut some off with a hacksaw.

It works and makes no mess of the locker. If you've cut a little short, wedge some card between the pipe and side of locker.

Ahh, good call. Will sneak in work one weekend and rig something up.

buggi

Bird Saviour
OK, but how have you attached it?
That is a great idea, we have a few lockers at work that only have hooks. I'll ask facilities to sort this.

buggi

Bird Saviour

What you could use to wedge it is that spare rubber stuff you get with a set of bike lights ... the stuff you use if your handle bars are too slim to take the light bracket.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They must have got the lockers from the same supplier that has just done ours. Not quite tall enough to hang something without it touching the bottom, not quite wide enough in either direction to take a typical adult hanger and just one small hook at the side. The old lockers were narrower but deeper and taller and had a double hook in the middle of the roof so could handle a few hangers, but that's progress for you! :headshake:

potsy

Rambler
They must have got the lockers from the same supplier that has just done ours. Not quite tall enough to hang something without it touching the bottom, not quite wide enough in either direction to take a typical adult hanger and just one small hook at the side. The old lockers were narrower but deeper and taller and had a double hook in the middle of the roof so could handle a few hangers, but that's progress for you! :headshake:
Still got the 'old' style lockers where I am, maybe you need to relocate? :tongue:

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru

They are L Shaped lockers. They are just about big enough to dump a few shirts, suit etc in. A pretty neat solution to saving space really.

Albeit they have done a load of work in the shower rooms they really didn't need to do.

Top Bottom