Sweaty cycling gear in the office...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I'm not one to take it easy on my cycle in to work, and carrying a backpack I'm suffering from sweaty back syndrome. I already opted for the breathable/mesh style padding backpack which hasn't helped, presumably my intensity isn't helping. While my place of work has some great facilities (bike rack, teeny tiny lockers, shower room) there isn't anywhere obvious to hang clothes to dry other than the office coat rack.

I'm conscious that my clothes hanging from the desk is unsightly and might making the office smell, and while colleagues haven't complained yet, I think the time will come...

How do you air your sweaty jersey/shorts out at work without dedicated drying facilities without giving colleague grief?

Think of me...

I ride the same, sweat the same and have no facilities... xx(

vickster

Legendary Member
As another post...rack and merino...
plus babywipes, deodorant and fresh clothes (could try a flannel wash too, must be access to water in the facilities)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20140728_082107.jpg

I've just moved into a new office, and cycling kit drying space is a huge issue for the cyclists at the moment - some are hanging it in their office, but I can't any more. I'm currently hanging my kit in a locker. I've fashioned a couple of rails to hang the clothes and have two battery powered USB fans in the bottom blowing air around the locker.

We've been promised a drying cabinet, but I can't see that taking 20 cyclists sweaty kit. Use of the other lockers will be revoked when the cabinet arrives, but it's not big enough (and who wants to share the same space as a dozen other folks sweaty shorts ?)

Sorry about the image.

fossyant

Natural fibres (wool) that don't hang on to the odour anywhere near as much as man-made 'technical' materials so can be worn a few times between washes, some find them itchy though (me included) :thumbsup:

I've really got into Merino. I have always hated wool as a kid (apparently) but it's OK. I bought two long sleeve base layers from Aldi, and recently got two M&S ones for about a third of RRP. They really do work. They stop the top layer getting smelly, and they don't smell themselves. But, they do need to dry between rides, which at the minute is a big issue in my new work place - we can't get kit dry from the morning sweat.

fossyant

[QUOTE 3216388, member: 259"]To sum up:
Wear nylon lycra and you will stink
Wear cotton or wool and you will not.[/QUOTE]

Cotton isn't good on a bike !!! It's crap in the wet/soaked with sweat. I am 'sold' on merino though - yes I find it scratchy, but it does not get stinky.

Crankarm

Guru
Cotton isn't good on a bike !!! It's crap in the wet/soaked with sweat. I am 'sold' on merino though - yes I find it scratchy, but it does not get stinky.

Cotton is definitely a no no as it has poor wicking properties and if you get cold and wet it can be totally the wrong fabric to be wearing.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 3216410, member: 259"]Nonsense, it's my choice of reference for going into work, and it doesn't smell during the day. This is just like having bonj back! :smile:[/QUOTE]

Maybe it doesn't smell to you ……………….. but others might disagree ;).

fossyant

Well the rain has hit here..... forecast all night and into the commute.

I can pop my cycling kit in my locker, but my wet weather waterproofs will have to come in the office tomorrow... I see fireworks from the prima donna.

Thing is, my work has nothing to do with her, I have a very different job from everybody else, but with the new open plan stuff, I've been included in the main office - I actually like it as I'm used to open plan, and the last 6 years has been hard in my own office. There shall be wind up's !

fossyant

[QUOTE 3216410, member: 259"]Nonsense, it's my choice of reference for going into work, and it doesn't smell during the day. This is just like having bonj back! :smile:[/QUOTE]

I sweat like a pig on the bike - I ride quite fast (ish). I am a lycra lout - full kit. As a base, I have used loads of stuff. Merinio is by far the best at not being smelly at warm temperatures - dry it after a ride and it's no smell for the ride home (kit washed every day for the commute). I find any modern synthetics do not work as well as a base in summer. Any kit left damp stinks to heaven - not BO but damp and smelly.

Cotton just holds too much moisture for me - it doesn't wick like merino. Cotton just gets wet and heavy. I wasn't convinced or indeed inclined to pay a silly price for merino - I've bought it on bargain prices - just wait for Aldi offers or M&S. The M&S SS tops are the business - I paid £12 each on sale.

fossyant

[QUOTE 3216427, member: 259"]It's horrible isn't it - I reckon I will end up in a four-in-a office arrangement with nowhere else to put my stuff than laying it out on the bike itself. Otherwise I'm stuffed.
Nowhere to take a shower either, I'll have to use a cotton shirt to come in! :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Well we have some showers now. But it's a bit too 'personal'. The changing rooms have two showers very close to each other, like in school. It's not a good situation seeing colleagues you work with in the buff, up close !!

Top Bottom