Harley riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Ok I know I could go on the Harley forum to ask this question but I would be interested to learn how popular they are with cyclists.
The question is if you do own one , what do you think of it.
I quite fancy now just rolling down the road and enjoying the scenery without having to exert any energy which I can do on my Beemer but suddenly Harleys are appealing to me.
However swmbo seems to think we need a new kitchen before I even think about getting one.
Over the years I have sat on a few but never found one that feels that comfortable so I would be interested in from those who agree with that or have adapted theirs to be more comfortable.
I definitely getting old because it only use to be Blades, Dukes GSXRs that would be on my radar.

Why not compromise, get the new kitchen and get a Harley to restore, best of both worlds and swmbo is happy.

MarkF

Guru
OP, if you want a burbling twin to tootle about on then a shop down the road from me supplies bespoke Guzzi's with no in-built negative connotations. Coolio! :okay:

IMG_0248-143-560x420.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Harleys are great! I mean, they're rubbish, it goes without saying, but they're still great. I would never ride one myself - never been comfortable with any kind of 'look at me-ery', but that rumble is one of the most distinctive and wonderful sounds on the planet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't think chrome is compulsory.

View attachment 145698

Sorry but that is one very fugly bike xx(...

Sonny Barger, the frontman of the Hell's Angels said that if the club were formed today they'd be riding Honda VFRs rather than HDs as the Japanese bikes were far superior.

Sonny Barger is obviously a man with good taste. A bike that puts a grin on my face as soon as I put the key in the ignition :wub:.. (Looks better now that the rack has gone)...
WP_20151004_10_06_55_Pro_zpsif8lqu7d.jpg

I just wish folk would have their mid- life crises more quietly

If buying a Harley happens at the mid stage of life, then a lot of them are going to be living to a ripe old age; to the point of defying nature :ohmy:.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This thread reminds me of a story my dad once told me, that still brought tears to his eyes in the telling, probably 30 years on...

He and a few of his ad agency buddies are enjoying a glass or three of Pinot after a hard day's 'creativity' at a pavement table in Soho when suddenly they become aware of that thunderous rumble burbling up the road towards them. "Christ, it's Roger!" one of them suddenly says, and sure enough, it's their Creative Director on his brand new beast. He spots them, grins, and pulls up alongside. By this time, needless to say, everyone within 100 metres is focused on this apparition - all chrome, leather and thunder. Then the grin disappears, as he realises his trouser leg has become entangled in one of the levers, and down he goes like a felled tree, ending up sprawled, pinned to the pavement by the hog. It took the whole table to extract him from his predicament. Followed, needless to say, by an enthusiastic round of applause from his now many, many fans.

Goggs

Guru
This thread reminds me of a story my dad once told me, that still brought tears to his eyes in the telling, probably 30 years on...

He and a few of his ad agency buddies are enjoying a glass or three of Pinot after a hard day's 'creativity' at a pavement table in Soho when suddenly they become aware of that thunderous rumble burbling up the road towards them. "Christ, it's Roger!" one of them suddenly says, and sure enough, it's their Creative Director on his brand new beast. He spots them, grins, and pulls up alongside. By this time, needless to say, everyone within 100 metres is focused on this apparition - all chrome, leather and thunder. Then the grin disappears, as he realises his trouser leg has become entangled in one of the levers, and down he goes like a felled tree, ending up sprawled, pinned to the pavement by the hog. It took the whole table to extract him from his predicament. Followed, needless to say, by an enthusiastic round of applause from his now many, many fans.

Good story which reminds me of this. Many years ago, not long after leaving school and whilst we were in our first jobs, my mate (who had much more money than me) got himself a second-hand Z1000. Beautiful bike done up like the original Eddie Lawson rep bike. I was on a CG125 and we had to stop at the traffic lights. Down he went and between us we couldn't lift that bike upright. We needed help from the guy in the car behind. My mate was so gutted he joined a gymn a few days later.

:laugh::laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Far too much money for what you actually get, and what you actually get is not very good by today's standards. From a safety perspective they don't stop very quickly, but that is of course remedied by riding more carefully. There are plenty of lighter, better handling, more efficient, more fun and more practical bikes out there for less money.

Also, is it a case of "we need a new kitchen and then you can think about bikes"? or "the new kitchen is my current reason for you not getting a bike but I will think of more when the kitchen is done"?

I've spoken to many blokes who've had the same conversations! I'd say compromise, a new kitchen is an investment in the property. Then if you're allowed a bike, look at Triumphs and many of the emerging Scrambler style models and decide if going to buy used or finance a new one. If you are still dead set on getting a HD then do by private for a better deal, so you won't lose too much if/when you sell it!

but the conversation with your other half has to be clear. The issue is not always about money but about priorities, perceived risk, etc etc.

I've almost forgotten what your original question was.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Never cared much for the Harleys, they lack subtlety and nuance that about any BMW can give. Gold Wings are neat if you want a reliable bike with few issues and great engineering and little/no soul. I kind of like the old Moto-Guzzi. The fact is that some people want one thing from a motor bike, others want something else, and the difference is what makes the bike right for you.

Top Bottom