Head Lamps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igor73

Hi all, I've managed to get a decent front light which is quite bright, adjustable and does a reasonable job of lighting the way ahead, but a couple of sections of road I ride at night are completely in the dark, these are unavoidable on my commute and quite frankly even when I'm riding cautiously it can be pretty scary. So I'm thinking of investing in a decent, ie cheap as possible, head lamp that can be helmet mounted and will increase my ability to see where I'm going, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I got one of these for £24 (reduced from £49) and was so pleased with it that I went back and got one for the other bike.
It's been spot on so far on the country lanes and it comes with both handlebar and helmet mounts.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights-locks/bike-lights/bikehut-l450-front-light

Must be discontinued, as they are showing as unavailable on the website, but I was in my local store 2 days ago and they had them on the shelf reduced to £20 - you might fall lucky if you've a branch near you.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've had various Petzls over the years. Maybe not the cheapest but standard issue amongst outdoors folk. They even survive caving and are standard backup lights for caving - which is very hard on kit. I used one as my main caving light for years - and not much else that isn't a proper caving lamp would survive that

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I used my Alpkit Gamma on the way home tonight. Very happy with it. It is three years old. A lug on the battery compartment recently snapped off an Alpkit sent me out a replacement FOC in very short order.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've had various Petzls over the years. Maybe jot the cheapest but standard issue amongst outdoors folk. They even survive caving and are standard backup lights for caving - which is very hard on kit. I uswd one as my main caving light for years - and not much else that isn't a proper cacing lamp would survive that
I have an old Petzl Tikka plus and it's been grand, but either the Viper or Muon from Alpkit will soon relegate it to dog walking duties ....

To the OP, head torches are readily tie-wrapped to helmets if you wear one.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You don't need a head lamp. Any reasonably bright light mounted on your handlebars, and aimed at the ground about 2 bike lengths in front of you, will be sufficient to show bumps on the ground and low hanging branches. Too many cyclists don't use head lamps properly, and end up shining them directly at oncoming people's faces.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with @Shut Up Legs. It doesn't sound like the front light is decent. I don't think head torches should be used on roads. Why do you want to risk dazzling other users?

OP
OP
Igor73

Igor73

I agree with @Shut Up Legs. It doesn't sound like the front light is decent. I don't think head torches should be used on roads. Why do you want to risk dazzling other users?
I'm not wanting to dazzle other road users, that would be daft! I just want to be able to see where I'm going as safely as my budget will allow. Also a lot of my commute is on unlit cycle path.
Thanks to those who have given some suggestions, I'll have a look..............................and try not to dazzle anyone, unless it's with my amazing bike handling skills!;)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I live in the wilds of Denmark and ride to work at 5 am in the morning. It is 20 km pitch black 95% of the way. We dont suffer light pollution where I live.

I have a busch and Mueller light attached to my dynamo and it is plenty enough for me.

I think you need to look at the light you have and not a helmet light.

sidevalve

Über Member
To the OP - I used to use a head torch quite a lot at work [we often worked at night] and TBH I found them a pain in the -----. Fine for a while then a good jolt or a swift turn of the head and they pointed anyway they fancied. You can fix this by tightening the straps but that just makes it uncomfortable to wear. IMHO just buy a better lamp for the bike and let it take the strain

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To the OP - I used to use a head torch quite a lot at work [we often worked at night] and TBH I found them a pain in the -----. Fine for a while then a good jolt or a swift turn of the head and they pointed anyway they fancied. You can fix this by tightening the straps but that just makes it uncomfortable to wear. IMHO just buy a better lamp for the bike and let it take the strain

I've never found them a problem if the strap is right, nor any difficulty in getting the strap right. Use em for hillwalking, camping, odd-jobs, and even for caving when my proper caving light was bust (ie strap over helmet). Have also used 'em on the bike, and though a proper bike light is a lot better, a helmet light isn't a bad extra to have. I reckon (belief rather than fact) that the ability to move it round helps it be seen, eg making sure you flash (where's Fnaar?) cars at junctions etc - not dazzle but just to catch their eye.

RMurphy195

You don't need a head lamp. Any reasonably bright light mounted on your handlebars, and aimed at the ground about 2 bike lengths in front of you, will be sufficient to show bumps on the ground and low hanging branches. Too many cyclists don't use head lamps properly, and end up shining them directly at oncoming people's faces.

Totally agree. I have a couple of these handy https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7...led-flashlight-with-mount-silver-ring-DS-002S

They're cheap and cheerful enough to equip a couple of bikes, and used as torches as well. You can get spare mounts and o-rings from the same source, also some cheapo rear lamps that are very bright and again, cheap enough to keep a spare or two. Useful if you have a more than one bike and don't want to spend a fortune!!

I also have an Aldi font light from a set I bought a few months ago, this happily lights up the road a couple of bus lengths ahead, plus to be seen from way off especially in the weather we are having at the moment I've ordered a Cateye Omni 5, which hopefully will be strong enough to do the job without clobbering the vision of oncoming drivers/cycists/walkers etc. . And a spare mount for bike 2.

A helmet lamp is useful if you come off the bike at night and want to be seen rather than run over (something the "I'm going to wear black clothing" brigade seem to forget), or if you are stopping and want to see where you are putting your feet on a footpath-free lane - you don't want to step into a ditch or a dollop of what horses leave behind! But you don't need a retina-burner for that.

The other thing is, all my lamps will run on AAA or AA batteries so keeping spares becomes simpler, and less fiddly than messing with button batteries on a cold, dark ride!

PS 5/11/20156 - removed reference to previous post - wrong forum:whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom