Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Ilkley loop - Sun 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I didn't get stang off a Bee but won't be out to play tomorrow, as much as I would like too. Got a BBQ going here, some very strong cider and will be taking it easy tomorrow.

Have fun and don't forget the suncream.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
I didn't get stang off a Bee but won't be out to play tomorrow, as much as I would like too. Got a BBQ going here, some very strong cider and will be taking it easy tomorrow.

Have fun and don't forget the suncream.
Enjoy the cider and the BBQ and see you on another one.

Colly - have you decided to come along, and if so where would you like to meet up?

Anybody else? I'll check back later on this evening and finalise times and places.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll set off from Hebden Bridge at 09:00.

Goodspeed - if you are coming, I'll meet you at Oxenhope station at about 09:45. Let me know if you plan to be there or make sure you are early! I expect that we will get back to Oxenhope at about 14:30(?).

PaulB, I'll PM you my mobile number in case there are any problems. I should get to Scar Top at about 10:15. If you get there first, wait at the junction. If I get there first, I'll meander up the road in your direction but I won't go much beyond the reservoir.

Colly - I'm kind of assuming that you aren't coming along but if you are, let me know. I could either meet you in HB in the usual car park if you decided to do the whole thing. If you decide that you want to ride out to meet us, meet us on the road down from Steeton to the big roundabout on the A629 at about 10:45.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

goodspeed said:
I'll be there, on the dot!:cheers: hot hot hot!
Good man!

20 degrees again tomorrow, with a cooling breeze/wind.

Yikes - I only forgot to upload the route to my GPS. That could have been embarrassing since I only know the local part of it! :biggrin: Okay, that's done now and I've even printed out some maps in case the GPS lets me down for once.

See y'all (both) in the morning.

colly

Re member eR
ColinJ said:
Enjoy the cider and the BBQ and see you on another one.

Colly - have you decided to come along, and if so where would you like to meet up?

Anybody else? I'll check back later on this evening and finalise times and places.

Sorry I am not able to make it.:biggrin::sad::sad:

A BBQ has been planned for lunchtime:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: then something else on for later.

Otherwise I would have come along.

Have a good one.:biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Enjoy your BBQ too colly. Are you doing the Red Rose Ride on the 14th? If so, I'll see you on the 14th June in Halifax.

I'm sure that my owl-like tendencies will catch up with me one day. I suppose that I ought to grab 4.5 hours sleep while I can... :biggrin:

Paul_L

Über Member
Bugger, only just seen this otherwise may have joined you for some if not all.

Incidentally, i rode the Stanbury - Scar Top - Laneshawbridge road on Friday and it was fully open. First time i've ridden up that road, and what a lovely road to ride up.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Paul_L said:
Bugger, only just seen this otherwise may have joined you for some if not all.

Incidentally, i rode the Stanbury - Scar Top - Laneshawbridge road on Friday and it was fully open. First time i've ridden up that road, and what a lovely road to ride up.
Hi Paul_L.

Yes, it's one of my favourite local roads too. I do quite a lot of rides round here with fellow CycleChat members so it shouldn't be too long before another one.

If you are into long-distance riding, you might consider joining a group of us in 2 weeks time to tackle the West Yorkshire Cycle Route parts of which feature in today's ride.

The road from Stanbury isn't the one that had the roadworks. It is/was the road which hairpins back towards Oakworth at the top of the steep little climb to Scar Top.

PaulB - I'm going to have to get ready and set off soon, so I'll have to trust that you've read the messages above. Ah, I've just noticed that you are online. Is 10:15 at Scar Top okay?

Paul_L

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Hi Paul_L.

Yes, it's one of my favourite local roads too. I do quite a lot of rides round here with fellow CycleChat members so it shouldn't be too long before another one.

If you are into long-distance riding, you might consider joining a group of us in 2 weeks time to tackle the West Yorkshire Cycle Route parts of which feature in today's ride.

I shall look out for those then ColinJ.

Hope you guys enjoyed your ride today.

I've seen the West Yorks thread, but 157m is way above my limits just yet.

I've only started cycling properly in the last 2 months, and my long rides just now are 35 to 40 miles at about 13mph, but i'm building slowly so as not to break the "Too much too soon" rule but hopefully before too long i'll have cracked my first 50, 75, 100 etc etc.

My route on Friday night was 36 miles from work (Yorkshire Water on Halifax Road, Bradford) through Queensbury to Denholme then up Long Causeway to Oxenhope then over Moor Side Lane to Lower Laithe reservoir, then up through Standury to Laneshawbridge via Scar Top, which was all pretty quiet country lanes which i loved, but my route home was just down the main A road through Cowling and Glusburn as i don't know the local roads over that way, and then back to Shipley via the old road down.

Looking at the map i should have taken the Old Skipton Road from Laneshawbridge to Lothersdale, so i'll try that next time! Do you know that route?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just a quick message while my bath is running...

The day was marred by a phone call from PaulB as I was riding out with goodspeed to meet him. He'd just been knocked off his bike by a driver who took a bend wide and found Paul in the way. :tongue:

Fortunately Paul wasn't seriously injured. He said that his shoulder was painful and his bike was damaged. I have to say - he sounded more cheerful than I'd have managed in the circumstances!

I'm sure that Paul will come along at some point and update us.

Paul - It sounds like you had a very narrow escape! :ohmy: I hope the shoulder injury isn't too bad, and that your bike gets fixed or replaced at no expense to you. Join us on another ride once you're sorted out.

Martin (goodspeed) and I had a great ride. I'll tell you more about it later once I'm squeaky clean and refuelled.

Remember folks - Let's be careful out there!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hi guys and thanks for all the messages. The bike is less damaged and I am slightly more damaged than originally thought. I think the endorphins were blocking the pain out this morning and I was determined to go out on my other bike when I got home but sense prevailed and I just spent the day drinking!

I was going up that road we came down on the SITD from Howarth to Laneshaw Bridge and so thankfully was going slow as was the dopey mare in the black Uno who hit me. She must have been 347 years old and I think she only stopped as she ran out of steam on the steep hill. That and the car coming the other way who thankfully saw what happened and made to come across her path and I seriously don't think she would have otherwise. Her husband was telling anyone who's listen that he'd told her not to drive too close but she swore blind (appropriately enough!) that she hadn't seen me, as though it was my fault! She gave me no room at all and drove into me as if I weren't there. The rear end of her car caught me on the calf and knocked me into a wall via a slight ditch (which cushioned the impact a lot). The forks and handlebars are fine but the left pedal split and the wheel (the front one of a pair of Kysrium Elite which cost £500 just a year ago) is bent almost in half. As it was so hot, I only had on a short-sleeved top and that is torn as is the shoulder which is all scraped and manky. Other than that, all is well, thanks! I got her details and her husband's solemn promise he'd not let her drive again and thankfully the driver coming down the hill also gave me his details and is backing my version of events. I thought it was a simple matter this morning but as the day has worn on, I find myself dwelling on it a bit more and thinking that I had a bit of a lucky escape. It's not only the boy racers, motorcyclists and white van man we have to worry about but little old granny grunt on her way to the nursing home as well!

Paul_L

Über Member
wow PaulB, really sorry about that. All in all, sounds like you came out of it pretty well, considering how bad it could have been if she really didn't see you.

what are your plans? Can you get the repair / damage costs from her insurance company?

I think it might be worth notfying the police and get your injuries noted by your GP so that at least in the event of a claim you have notified relevant parties.

Maybe worth giving the CTC legal bods a shout?

colly

Re member eR
Good to hear you are ok after that Paul. Close call.

Let's hope you don't wake up with too many more bruises and pains.

Top Bottom