Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Ilkley loop - Sun 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Paul_L said:
I've seen the West Yorks thread, but 157m is way above my limits just yet.
It might well be above mine too! :evil:

My fitness hasn't been coming on as quickly as I'd planned for this year and there is now just less than 3 weeks to go to the WYCR ride.

What I learned from yesterday's ride is that I definitely need to get my lower-geared Basso back on the road. It's just too much strain riding the steep stuff on my Cannondale weighing what I do.

Paul_L said:
I've only started cycling properly in the last 2 months, and my long rides just now are 35 to 40 miles at about 13mph, but i'm building slowly so as not to break the "Too much too soon" rule but hopefully before too long i'll have cracked my first 50, 75, 100 etc etc.
I'd say that you are doing well. I didn't start doing rides that long until about the end of my second year!

It's not really the distances that will get to you round here, it's the hills. If you can do a hilly 40 miles, you'd probably be quite happy doing a flat 60 or 70 miles. Why not aim to do a flattish century ride by the end of the summer? I'd suggest something like the Manchester 100 which is always the first Sunday in September. It does a loop from SW Manchester out into Cheshire. It's not totally flat, but the hills aren't too bad compared to those in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Paul_L said:
Looking at the map i should have taken the Old Skipton Road from Laneshawbridge to Lothersdale, so i'll try that next time! Do you know that route?
I don't think that I've actually been to Lothersdale, but I've done the hills either side of it. It's nice up there.

You could probably find a more scenic route back to Shipley but I discovered yesterday exactly how hilly it is above Addingham, Bingley and Baildon! How about extending your rides out in the scenic lanes, and jumping on the train from (for example) Steeton and Silsden back to Shipley to avoid the busier roads on the way home? I just looked it up - the train only takes 17 minutes and the fare is just £2.20.

I'll write up the Ilkley/Otley ride for my blog when I have time.

Paul_L

Über Member
Thanks Colin, very useful stuff there. My cycling has pretty much taken off where my running left off - i had to stop due to persistent back problems, which i don't get cycling. I built up quite a bit of cycling fitness last summer, but only doing routes of 10 to 15 miles but regularly. After a sluggish winter i decided a brand new bike in the Spring is what i needed to give me some impetus (Spesh Allez Triple), so i guess i'm not starting from a standing start.

I've entered the White Rose Challenge in 3 weeks from Ilkey. I've only entered the 80km route, which now i keep wonder whether to up it to the 110km route but i think i'll stay cautious and stick where i am.

The Manchester 100 looks interesting but we've got a new baby due end of July so i'm not sure how practical that'll be.

As for now i'll keep venturing into the hills and lanes of West Yorks and see how i progress.

Thanks for the really useful info, and i'll look out for your next trip out.

Hope PaulB is recovering well by the way.

goodspeed

Go on, do the 110, you mght as well, it's a great route. I was thinking of changing to the biggy but like yourself I'm trying to be sensible , i've only been cycle 6 months so just building the distance up slowly; having said that the red rose ride is on the 14th and that's 200k!:smile: gulp!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Shoulder's been stiff and painful when I'm driving but I'm out on my first ride this evening, all being well. Thanks for asking. The bike's up at the shop getting the once over and according to the mechanic, he reckons the wheel could be saved. I had a spare pair of pedals so they've been changed and it looks like it might have come out of it less badly than first feared. The woman's insurance company have also been in touch and it looks optimistic on that front also. I once fractured my sternum on a mountain bike ride and it took a year or so to fully recover my nerve in STDs on the rough stuff so I hope there's no hangover from Sunday's incident when I get back on today.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad to hear that Paul. Enjoy your ride.

I have never been very good at STDs (I assume that it stands for Steep Technical Descents in this context?) but I will be doing some slightly less technical ones soon because I'm rebuilding my MTB today. If you fancy coming over for a MTB ride some time, that would be good. I know that goodspeed and possibly trio25 would be up for that.

Rigid Raider has also been mentioning organising a CycleChat MTB ride.

Top Bottom