Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sunday 24th?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi All.

Sorry for the short notice, but does anybody fancy a ride out from Hebden Bridge tomorrow, Sunday 24th May? Calum has just contacted me to see if I was free, and Alun has been showing interest too. The forecast is looking really good.

I was thinking of riding out over the hills and coming back via the valley roads.

The route I planned would be about 100 km (62 miles) with about 1,700 m of climbing (5,500 ft). Cafe stop at Waddington half way round.

Set off at 10:00, ride at a nice leisurely pace, have about 30 minutes at Waddington and probably get back about 16:00.

Anybody interested in joining us?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The latest forecast is dry, 16-18 degrees C, not too windy.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'd love to and had it been any other week, I'd be there like a shot but it's our last game of the season tomorrow so I have commitments there. The season's over after then though so any other time and I'm up for it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
I'd love to and had it been any other week, I'd be there like a shot but it's our last game of the season tomorrow so I have commitments there. The season's over after then though so any other time and I'm up for it.
Okay Paul - enjoy the game.

Here are my plans for the next few weekends:

I'm free next weekend (30th/31st). Perhaps we could organise a ride for that?

Booked up the following one (June 6th/7th).

I'm hoping to have some company for The Red Rose Ride on June 14th - goodspeed is doing it too.

As you know, we plan to tackle the West Yorkshire Cycle Route on Sat June 20th.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Next weekend I'm free both days and I'm also free on the 14th June. I don't know I like the idea of the WYCR though! I'd do half but the full distance sounds a bit daunting to a young boy like me! Also I'm free Wednesday June 3rd if you're not doing owt?

colly

Re member eR
As much as I would like to come along I am in the middle of laying a kitchen floor.:biggrin::sad::ohmy::sad:

Leaving it half finished is not an option, well that's according to my mrs anyway.

So have a good ride , looks like the weather will be good for you.:ohmy::smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Next weekend I'm free both days and I'm also free on the 14th June.
I'll suggest a ride for next weekend then, but I'll wait for people to get back to work on Tuesday.

The Red Rose Ride on the 14th is pretty hilly on the way out to Glasson Dock and a lot easier on the way back (assuming we don't get the headwind from hell).

PaulB said:
I don't know I like the idea of the WYCR though! I'd do half but the full distance sounds a bit daunting to a young boy like me!
It's pretty daunting to me too, since I haven't been making as much progress as I'd have liked with my weight loss and fitness!

If you wanted to come along for part of the ride, you could leave your car in Hebden Bridge and ride halfway round to Castleford with us and catch the train back via Leeds.

If you still felt okay at Castleford, you could continue round to Holmfirth. If you didn't fancy the tough hills in the last 25% of the route, you could bomb down to Huddersfield and catch the train back to Hebden Bridge from there.

PaulB said:
I'm free Wednesday June 3rd if you're not doing owt?
I might be free. Let's decide nearer the day.

colly said:
As much as I would like to come along I am in the middle of laying a kitchen floor.:ohmy::sad::ohmy::sad:

Leaving it half finished is not an option, well that's according to my mrs anyway.

So have a good ride , looks like the weather will be good for you.:?::smile:
Hmm, I can see that a half-laid kitchen floor would test the most patient spouse! :biggrin:

I'll see you on one of the other rides.

Alun

Guru
I'm up for that ! I've just done 60 miles around Cheshire's leafy lanes today, so it'll be good to see how I manage 2 decent rides back to back.

Where are we meeting up? Can I suggest Mytholmroyd Community Centre, as I would imagine Hebden Bridge to be very busy with tourists on a sunny Bank Holiday Sunday, and not a car parking space to be had.

Calum

Just checked the site, and the train I was gonna get doesn't stop at Mytholmroyd for some dumbass reason. Although I could probably jump on a different one if we decide to meet there instead. We've never had any trouble parking at Hebden bridge before, although the last time we met there was on a chilly morning in march!

trio25

Über Member
Can't make it as I'm on a core and torso training course which means the weather will be amazing as I am inside all day!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
I'm up for that ! I've just done 60 miles around Cheshire's leafy lanes today, so it'll be good to see how I manage 2 decent rides back to back.

Where are we meeting up? Can I suggest Mytholmroyd Community Centre, as I would imagine Hebden Bridge to be very busy with tourists on a sunny Bank Holiday Sunday, and not a car parking space to be had.
Alun - I would have suggested MCC but Calum has just pointed out that his train doesn't stop at Mytholmroyd - some of them don't. It saves a few minutes on the journey from Leeds to Manchester (or Preston, depending on which way it goes after Hebden Bridge). Most annoying for residents of Mytholmroyd because they can't get on/off those trains at their local station.

Hebden Bridge will be very busy later on, but you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a parking space at about 09:45. I suggest the usual spot - Market Place car park.

I'll PM you my mobile number in case of any problems. It is for use on ride days only - the rest of the time it is switched off ('orrible things!).

getmapimage.asp

It's long stay and is only about 30p/hour. I'd suggest paying until at least 17:00 so we don't have to rush if we take a longer than expected stop at Waddington, or have any mechanical problems.

Trio - enjoy your course! :biggrin: If you aren't busy next weekend, see if you fancy whatever PaulB and I are planning (details Tuesday).

If anybody else fancies the ride, make sure you turn up in good time at Market Place car park. We will be setting off shortly after 10:00 if Calum's train is on time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A fantastic 65 miles in the sunshine lads - thanks for your company.

widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg

PS You'll have to forgive the grass in the foreground - I didn't notice it when I balanced the camera on that rock! :blush:

Top Bottom