Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you've decided you really want one, get one that fits. Go into an LBS and try one on.

(@Moderators - time for a sticky? This question is asked an awful lot.)

ScotiaLass

Guru
Go with what you are comfortable wearing!
I wear a Bern helmet and find it the most comfortable thing I've ever worn but everyone's different.
Definitely try a few on if you can (some of the larger cycle stores have plenty to choose from, even if you don't buy from them).
Let us know what you decide to get!

MikeG

Guru
I'm not a fan of Halfords at all, but if there is one thing I would suggest going to Halfords for, it is a helmet. They have a huge array, at good prices.

I am never sure about this "get the right size" thing, either, as they all have adjustable head-bands. What am I missing? I mean, obviously you don't buy a kiddies helmet if you are an adult, but other than that, the adjustment on mine (and therefore I assume all) allows for an enormous range of head sizes.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm not a fan of Halfords at all, but if there is one thing I would suggest going to Halfords for, it is a helmet. They have a huge array, at good prices.

I am never sure about this "get the right size" thing, either, as they all have adjustable head-bands. What am I missing? I mean, obviously you don't buy a kiddies helmet if you are an adult, but other than that, the adjustment on mine (and therefore I assume all) allows for an enormous range of head sizes.
I think it's more get the right helmet but the right size is a must :laugh:
They are all different designs and shapes....as I said previous, the only helmet that I can tolerate is the Bern. I'm not even conscious of it on my head.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's about shape rather than size. What feels comfortable once adjusted
I look like Benny Hill in a Bern according to @jefmcg so it would be the last helmet I would buy
:blush:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's about shape rather than size. What feels comfortable once adjusted
I look like Benny Hill in a Bern according to @jefmcg so it would be the last helmet I would buy
:blush:
What's wrong with Benny Hill!

vickster

Legendary Member
Erm, it is not someone a woman wants to look like while riding a bike :laugh:

Slapstick, mildly misogynistic humour really isn't my bag either

As Scotialass says, different makes, different sizes and shapes.

Fit does NOT mean I can get it to stay on my head, a point often misunderstood!

The absorbent material has to be close to work. If you have a gap, the head will accelerate until it impacts the helmet, then rapidly decelerate transferrring energy to the brain. The helmet itself becomes an impact surface!

Research on children's helmet fit showed that this fit alone could double the chances of a head injury!

Results—Individuals whose helmets were reported to fit poorly had a 1.96-fold increased risk of head injury compared with those whose helmets fit well. Children with head injuries had helmets which were significantly wider than their heads compared with children without head injuries.
Inj Prev 1999;5:194-197 doi:10.1136/ip.5.3.194

For instance Company A may have an almost circular shape, so as a result although the webbing will make it "fit" there is a big gap at the sides. Company B has an oval shape which means that the helmet may now be closer to the head at the sides, but too long and the gap is now at the front and back

Of course the manafacturers have no interest in actually providing a true range of sizes (think of shoe width fittings) when they can get away with fooling everyone that a "universal fitting"

Ironically to make the universal fitting the helmet has to cater for the largest size, so may even be making things worse!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

It is not just about it staying on your head, but being comfortable and being the right shape to suit your head shape. Getting the right size and shape means there need for adjustment is smaller. Less excess material, or gaps etc and for the style concious, no mushroom top effect.

Back to the OP, how can we recommend a helmet without some indication of budget?

Boo

Über Member
That's what I like about this place!
Most other forums that I hang out on, if someone had come along with a similar 'starter' question, I can guarantee that among the helpful responses, there would have been a good smattering of...

"FFS! This again?"
"Take a look at the box up there. It's called a search box for a reason."

etc etc
Or (and this is a personal bugbear of mine - I understand why it happens, but it hacks me off no end), a mod just shifts the thread somewhere else without having the decency to even put a comment in to say they've done it.

But round here, people are patient, friendly and helpful.
Very odd...
:smile:

Top Bottom