Help me!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
This is getting bad. I have to decide what I want to do after I finish college. I have to have a personal statement written and ready by next week. ;)

I really don't have a clue. I went to a career appointment today, and all she did was force the idea of uni on me.

Rant over I guess. :biggrin:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Good luck, I didnt decide what I wanted to do until I was about 24 so no help here sorry.

Mr Pig

mcdonalds_clean.jpg

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Hmmmm I'd rather not join Mc'Donalds, could be a back up plan though ;). . .

longers

Legendary Member
You've got no ideas or inklings of what you might like to do? Just for the purpose of filling in your personal statement.

It can take years to work out what you really want to do.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
longers said:
You've got no ideas or inklings of what you might like to do? Just for the purpose of filling in your personal statement.

It can take years to work out what you really want to do.

Not one single tiny clue at all.
;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Uni is fantastic but not for everyone. Do you like living at home - having some money, like the idea of getting a car and going on foreign holidays etc? If so, maybe finding a job (easier said than done atm) might be the option. If you prefer p*ss ups on weekday nights, the chance to meet a bunch of new people and being able to fly the nest, then Uni is obviously the choice for you.

Career wise, It's very hard to decide what you will actually be successful at or enjoy during teenage years. I was given some fairly lousy advice back in the day and do kind of regret the course I did but having said that the best few years of my life were the mid-late Nineties and the student life. The course / qualification is only a small part of the learning experience!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Whatever you decide on make sure it is something you like, I spent many years doing jobs I hated before I got into my current profession.

Mind you all the crappy jobs gave me the experience I needed to do what I do now so it was worth it I guess coz I love what I do now.

You will be working for a long time far too long to do something you hate.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Kovu said:
Not one single tiny clue at all.
:cheers:

Just admit it Kovu, you want to be a bum, that lies around on the sofa all day, not doing much;)
Hope this helps;):biggrin:;)

But seriously, you have to do a personal statement already. I've got ages until i need to do one, I'm not going to uni though, I'm doing an apprenticeship.

Run away to sea.

No, actually I'm being serious. Worldwide shortage of qualified officers, get paid while you learn (no student loans to pay off) chance to travel, or possibly see an array of oil terminals. Linky.
Of course it may have no appeal to you but as you haven't got a clue......

TVC

Do they also want to know at what age you are going to have kids and how many? When you think you might develop an Alcohol problem, and when you were considering becoming senile.

Keep the statement loose around your general areas of interest, or just put down Air Hostess.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure most people have no idea what they want to do when they leave school/college. The competition for becoming a vet or an RAF pilot is too stiff.

• What are you interested in?
  • What were your favourite subjects at school, if any?
  • What have you been studying at college.
  • What are you good at?
  • What's your personality like? For example, are you a person that can concentrate on tasks by themselves, or are you someone who needs to interact with other people?
  • What motivates you: money, helping people, interesting work, adventure...
  • What are your chances of finding a temporary job while you think about it?
  • Could you do anything interesting in a gap year?
When are you actually leaving college BTW? One tip may be to search various companies' graduate recruitment schemes and see if any of them appeal to you.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Piemaster said:
Run away to sea.

No, actually I'm being serious. Worldwide shortage of qualified officers, get paid while you learn (no student loans to pay off) chance to travel, or possibly see an array of oil terminals. Linky.
Of course it may have no appeal to you but as you haven't got a clue......

Have been to a careers appointment with a navy officer to see if there's anything there.

Just as a side note I did mention this to the careers officer at college and it got dismissed as quickly as the army. :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Kovu said:
Have been to a careers appointment with a navy officer to see if there's anything there.

Just as a side note I did mention this to the careers officer at college and it got dismissed as quickly as the army. :biggrin:

But that link was for the merchant navy not the royal navy. In a nutshell you still float about a bit but tend to get shot at less. ;)

Top Bottom