Help me!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
4F said:
But that link was for the merchant navy not the royal navy. In a nutshell you still float about a bit but tend to get shot at less. :biggrin:

Don't think careers woman would be happy at that ... or me. Navy wouldn't be too bad though. ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Stuff the careers women, it's about you not her.

Arch

Married to Night Train
4F said:
Stuff the careers women, it's about you not her.

+1

You think you have problems. I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up, and I'm forty!

I suppose they aren't going to accept "I'd like to get a job that's moderately interesting and pays my bills plus a bit, while I think about it"...?

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Arch said:
I suppose they aren't going to accept "I'd like to get a job that's moderately interesting and pays my bills plus a bit, while I think about it"...?

Nope. :sad: They want me to go to uni. That's it at the moment.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Kovu said:
Nope. :sad: They want me to go to uni. That's it at the moment.

Tell them to go forth and multiply, if you don't want to go.
"are you going to uni Joe?"
"No, im either going to get a job or an apprenticeship"
"oh ok"

How can they make you go to uni:wacko:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yellow Fang said:
I'm pretty sure most people have no idea what they want to do when they leave school/college. The competition for becoming a vet or an RAF pilot is too stiff.

• What are you interested in?
  • What were your favourite subjects at school, if any?
  • What have you been studying at college.
  • What are you good at?
  • What's your personality like? For example, are you a person that can concentrate on tasks by themselves, or are you someone who needs to interact with other people?
  • What motivates you: money, helping people, interesting work, adventure...
  • What are your chances of finding a temporary job while you think about it?
  • Could you do anything interesting in a gap year?
When are you actually leaving college BTW? One tip may be to search various companies' graduate recruitment schemes and see if any of them appeal to you.

+1 Similar thoughts YF but you beat me to it!

Decide what your strengths and weaknesses are.... write a list of both. But be honest with yourself.

Do you like dealing with people?- can you help them relax and chat-
are you confident/outgoing or are you introverted and shy and prefer your own company or close group of people you know well?

Your answers will reveal whether a selling/ communications/ helping people job suits you best.

Do you like working on your own?- do you prefer intricate fiddly jobs that you must get right and do you feel no-one else can do something as well as you can?

Engineering/ surveying/ 'working through problems' type job probably suits?
Do you like risk or do you like security?

Do you prefer to be outside working or inside concentrating. Computer nerd or office show-off? Making things or sorting through piles of lists. are you tidy and meticulous or untidy and always on the go?

Are you curious to find things how things work and look for things to do cos you can't stand sitting about or prefer to do what you are asked until it's finished and then sit waiting for more or skyving off? Do you enjoy being praised by someone when you finish something or enjoy doing something just because it's there, secure that it's done properly. Do you like to work in a team to get something done together or do you prefer telling others what to do and how to do it? Do you find you start taking over if left to do something, do you enjoy helping others to finish things off or can you guide people to do things themselves and give advice how to do things better?You'll notice a pattern to your answers which tells you things about yourself.

You'll have got the picture by now.... Look up how to write a CV/ personal statement on Google and follow a template- include a couple of pictures if you want- stand out from the crowd!!!.

Good luck.

montage

God Almighty
Apply to uni, use the college's uni application while it is there. What is your favourite subject? Would you do a course in it? Or something similar?

Apply to uni while you have the resources available to make application easier. If you get the end of the year and don't want to go into Uni, then great! At least you can apply.

There are 1000s of jobs in the armed forces, so I would keep looking into this. Look at the services, nurse, police,firewoman( :sad: ) etc.

ACS

Legendary Member
Kovu said:
This is getting bad. I have to decide what I want to do after I finish college. I have to have a personal statement written and ready by next week. :sad:

I really don't have a clue. I went to a career appointment today, and all she did was force the idea of uni on me.

Rant over I guess. :rofl:

If you do not know what you want to do, do you have any idea of what you don't want to do? Then it becomes a process of elimination.

Top Bottom