HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If there is a 30 ton lorry in front of me, I'm keeping away from it.
Agree, and if there's a bloke pushing a bathtub full of vodka while smoking a fag in front of me I'm keeping away from that too. But that doesn't mean I don't want them taken off the road if they're physically/mechanically incapable of sharing it safely.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You seem to have the idea that lorry drivers cannot ride a bike. I don't know where you get that idea from but many of my ex colleagues used to ride their bikes to work. You had better go and sign up.
I have the idea that most don't even if they can. I'm assuming that you're not suggesting that all cyclists are unable to drive a lorry or have never sat in a cab?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Agree, and if there's a bloke pushing a bathtub full of vodka while smoking a fag in front of me I'm keeping away from that too. But that doesn't mean I don't want them taken off the road if they're physically/mechanically incapable of sharing it safely.

Sorry, I'm keeping away from it because its big and heavy and it obstructs my vision. It possibly is safe to be on the roads but I don't intend to inspect its air lines and brake linings. I don't know the figures for cycle related accidents and defective HGVs do you?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the idea that most don't even if they can. I'm assuming that you're not suggesting that all cyclists are unable to drive a lorry or have never sat in a cab?

I'm not suggesting that because I'm a cyclist who can drive lorries, I have known lots of lorry drivers who ride bikes, but I would suggest that the majority of cyclists have not had the chance to get in a cab. Why would they if they don't work in the trucking business.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm not suggesting that because I'm a cyclist who can drive lorries but I would suggest that the majority of cyclists have not had the chance to get in a cab. Why would they if they don't work in the trucking business.
And I'm suggesting that the overwhelming majority of truck drivers have no idea what it's like to have an artic pull up along side when you're waiting at lights or to have one go past too close with the cab and then start to cut back in before the trailer is halfway past, they may be able to ride a bike but I'm willing to bet most of them haven't since they were a teenager. I have no objection to the suggestion that cyclists should be given the opportunity to see things from a drivers perspective but the drivers should see things from the cyclists perspective too.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm not suggesting that because I'm a cyclist who can drive lorries, I have known lots of lorry drivers who ride bikes, but I would suggest that the majority of cyclists have not had the chance to get in a cab. Why would they if they don't work in the trucking business.
In London the police do regular 'changing places' events where they invite cyclists to sit in the cab of a lorry and look around. It's very telling that the blind spots cover basically all of the cycle lane up the nearside and the ASL.

In London the police do regular 'changing places' events where they invite cyclists to sit in the cab of a lorry and look around. It's very telling that the blind spots cover basically all of the cycle lane up the nearside and the ASL.
Change places?? Do the drivers sit on a bike when a lorry tears passed closely without caring??

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
And I'm suggesting that the overwhelming majority of truck drivers have no idea what it's like to have an artic pull up along side when you're waiting at lights or to have one go past too close with the cab and then start to cut back in before the trailer is halfway past, they may be able to ride a bike but I'm willing to bet most of them haven't since they were a teenager. I have no objection to the suggestion that cyclists should be given the opportunity to see things from a drivers perspective but the drivers should see things from the cyclists perspective too.

But what you are suggesting is nonsense. Lorry drivers use the same roads as you to get to work. Do you think they all drive their lorries home and park them in front of their houses. You have no idea how many lorry drivers ride to work or use a bike on a regular basis. Places I worked at when I was driving were full of bikes. They rode to work on the same roads and the same traffic conditions as you. If you are basing a discussion on the fact that lorry drivers don't know what it's like to ride a bike on a road like you do, I would have a rethink, because a lot of them do.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Sorry, I'm keeping away from it because its big and heavy and it obstructs my vision.
Other things that are big and obstruct my vision: high-sided vans, fences, buildings, trains. Other things that are heavy: every vehicle on the road with an engine. [*] If they were my reasons for keeping away from things I'd never get to work.

[*] other things that ain't heavy: my brother

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Change places?? Do the drivers sit on a bike when a lorry tears passed closely without caring??

It seems you also have the idea that lorry drivers do not ride bikes on the same roads as yourself. Or maybe they wear a vis vest that reads "Lorry driver, keep clear" and of course all the lorry drivers see it and keep clear.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It seems you also have the idea that lorry drivers do not ride bikes on the same roads as yourself. Or maybe they wear a vis vest that reads "Lorry driver, keep clear" and of course all the lorry drivers see it and keep clear.

Dan, your being pedantic about the big, heavy vehicles. You know what we are talking about.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maybe if they did, they would allow greater space when passing us and think if they need to pass us just to turn left?

Dan B

Disengaged member
But what you are suggesting is nonsense. Lorry drivers use the same roads as you to get to work. Do you think they all drive their lorries home and park them in front of their houses. You have no idea how many lorry drivers ride to work or use a bike on a regular basis. Places I worked at when I was driving were full of bikes. They rode to work on the same roads and the same traffic conditions as you. If you are basing a discussion on the fact that lorry drivers don't know what it's like to ride a bike on a road like you do, I would have a rethink, because a lot of them do.
In fairness, taxi drivers have all had extensive experience of riding round London on small mopeds and it doesn't stop many of them from turning into complete daffodils when they get their shiny black mini-hearses, so I doubt that experience of cycling is actually sufficient in all cases to inculcate empathy towards cyclists.

Top Bottom