HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never seen stats about fatalities in London but would be interested to see what percentage is attributed to the lorry drivers themselves.
Difficulty with that is the courts often don't cinvict. Sun was in my eyes, killed cyclist. Not guilty. No blame for the driver. I blame the driver though the stats won't show it.
Lorry killed pedestrian on zebra crossing as didnt check the mirror when pulling away which was too dirty to see in anyway. Not guilty. I blame the driver.

Lonestar

Veteran
You can only keep away from lorries to a certain extent.I encountered a foreign left hand steering lorry a few days back after coming out of Lombard Street through Fenchurch Street direction.Massive thing with a trailer the same size.All the way up the Mile End road but it was so fast it lost me.Also a mistake I made with a lorry a few years back was overtaking on the right when the steering wheel was on the left,so I always look out for this little factor now.Plus the registration plates may be a little hint also.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is no doubt that the design of them are awful. But big steps are being taken to improve that. There are cameras, motion detectors, bells, buzzers, warning voice recordings, side barriers.

But the EEC need to make these things compulsory on all lorries.

Reactions: mjr

Lonestar

Veteran
TBH I don't expect lorries to look out for me so how I treat dealing with lorries as my responsibility.Buses can be a bit temperamental sometimes but are easier to deal with.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
At least we don't have these farking monsters to deal with. This is the one that hit and killed 22-year-old Danish cyclist Rebekka Meyer in September, 2014 as she waited to turn right on a Brisbane street. It has a 7 metre blind spot in front. Seven metres!

truck.jpg

I really pity Australian cyclists.

GC

Origamist

Legendary Member
My 2p worth. I would rather be alive and lose a couple of seconds by not filtering up the left alongside an HGV, than be under his wheels and dead. I count myself as one of the riskier riders on the road in traffic, I will filter and probably do it too quickly, but I won't try and pass any vehicle on the left at a set of lights or a give way. This is the same as if I were driving, I would use my brakes if an oncoming vehicle was overtaking another and I thought they were not going to make it in time. It is just simple self preservation.

It's worth remembering though, that the majority of cyclists who are killed by HGVs were not of the lefthook/undertaking type. It is the most common type of fatality involving cyclists/HGVs (London in particular), but if you read many cycling fora there is the perception that this is how the vast majority of cyclists are killed - rather than the grim reality that a significant number of cyclists are run over when going straight ahead. There is rather less you can do to avoid this collision type.

Last edited:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
So you're suggesting that lots and lots of lorry drivers ride bikes? I'm beginning to see some flaws in your argument here.
I do, so does my mate, and another mate, and another. We all ride bikes to work and also for leisure. I have 2 other mates that cycle to work but don't cycle for leisure, just use it for a means to get to work. The bike shed at work is always full. So yes plenty of lorry drivers are cyclists.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
At least we don't have these farking monsters to deal with. This is the one that hit and killed 22-year-old Danish cyclist Rebekka Meyer in September, 2014 as she waited to turn right on a Brisbane street. It has a 7 metre blind spot in front. Seven metres!

View attachment 102454

GC

It's an interesting case you picked up on. A cyclist and a massive, massive truck. But it is not as clear cut as you would imagine. Witnesses said her foot slipped off the pedals and she fell in front of the truck. I do not know the final outcome of the inquest. But that is why we shouldn't second guess inquests, as quite often happens on here.

But a 7 foot blind spot is ridiculous.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's an interesting case you picked up on. A cyclist and a massive, massive truck. But it is not as clear cut as you would imagine. Witnesses said her foot slipped off the pedals and she fell in front of the truck. I do not know the final outcome of the inquest. But that is why we shouldn't second guess inquests, as quite often happens on here.

Some witnesses said her foot slipped off the pedal. Be that as it may, is it a reason to drive over her?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I know, I read the articles. It was the ridiculously dangerous design I wanted to highlight, not the who did what in the crash. I don't want this thread to get side-tracked onto examining a foreign RTC.

GC

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I used to work for sainsburys at their distribution depot at Haydock. Lots of the drivers came to work by bike. The bike sheds were packed. This was a regular thing at a lot of the depots, the same for tescos. I've known quite a few long distance drivers, including myself, take their bikes on trips with them. That is just my experience. You may have more experience than me about lorry drivers and bikes. But my hunch is that you have no idea and are just guessing. How can you possibly know how many truck drivers ride bikes.

I'm not all for truck drivers but I am against total drivel if its being used to put a case across.
I have not suggested that no lorry drivers ride bikes, however, as far as I am concerned there is a disparity here when cyclists are invited to sit in the cab of a lorry to see how dangerous it is if we aren't also asking HGV drivers to sit on a bicycle while a nice big truck steams past them. It is quite possible that the HGV drivers that ride regularly are courteous, careful road users, it is also quite possible that many that don't ride bikes are careful and courteous too, but that does nothing to change the fact that lorries are, as you have said yourself, dangerous by design. Now we can bump our gums about legislation not being enforced or introduced but until such time as it is rather than only having a scheme which tells cyclists to stay away from lorries perhaps we should have one which shows things from our perspective. The education by demonstration needs to work both ways.

Lonestar

Veteran

GC

I agree,make our lorries look like toys.

2zh1ml1.jpg

I remember these little beauties when I cycled in Thailand and some right loonies driving them..

Dan B

Disengaged member

gbb

Legendary Member
Wouldn't be surprised if most cyclist Injuries with lorries are the cyclists own fault, putting themselves in dangerous positions. A lot of cyclists have a cult like attitude and cannot see past their bias.

I do admit, I often empathise with drivers of all vehicles. Cyclists can be the biggest of dicks on the road.

Recounted this some time ago but its worth repeating for this subject...
My son who's never driven and rarely cycled on the road proper got himself a scooter last year. Within a couple weeks he came home and told me he'd nearly got squashed by a lorry....'where' i asked...at some TLs he said....the lorry came right across him turning left.
I asked my son...was the lorry stopped, did you scoot down beside him ?....yes was the innocent answer.
I told him of the dangers....lorry can't see you, it looks like there's plenty space etc etc.
His reaction ?....:ohmy:...'i just never realised' :whistle:
As said, he's never driven, he just wasnt aware of the dangers, didn't even occur to him....perhaps in his case the CBT should have included a bit on this in his test (perhaps they do and he missed it)

Dicks on the road..yes, but some are innocently oblivious to the dangers until they see it themselves and hopefully get away with it. Some poor souls pay the price first time round perhaps.

Top Bottom