Hi from Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucyT

Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Lucy from Leeds/Wakefield. Just starting to get back into cycling after a good few years of not cycling! Easing myself in with a gentle 2 mile each way commute to the train station everyday but looking to extend that when I get fitter and the days get longer :smile:

I'm also looking to start cycling along the canals/TPT at weekends too with my dogs.

Got loads of questions so I'd better get myself onto the technical forum!!!

Alan Whicker

Welcome, Lucy. I'm always in awe of the breadth of expertise and experience on this site.

I envy you living in Leeds. It's one of my favourite cities, with miles and miles of glorious countryside on the doorstep.

postman

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome .

But just to tell the truth about Leeds .Now a city full of overpriced high rise city centre flats .
Roads choked with traffic due to the building of over priced housing in the posher suburbs .

A night life that brings it's own violent trouble.

Streets (i am told) in hunslet with brothels .

A very poor public transport system .And narrow main roads Scott Hall Road which cause chaos and frustration to the commuter .

Good that should put them off .Don't want them to know about the gateway to the Dales .

OP
OP
L

LucyT

Ha ha - someone doesn't like Leeds! :birthday:

I don't find it too bad actually but I agree about the traffic/public transport system - both fairly shocking. Both my train journeys aren't too bad at the moment but they have been in the past. Can't be bothered to cycle all the way to work as its in Bradford - which has a set of 'traffic rules' all of its own!!!

Oh and I used to be unfortunate enough to live in Hunslet (where I got burgled) and there is indeed a 'Sauna' :sad:

BearPear

Veteran
I don't blame you not cycling into Bradford from Leeds - the drivers get more mental the nearer to Bfd you get! I counted 3 random U-turns as I drove down Leeds Rd this morning!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Welcome. The Bradford ring road is insane, I agree there! The canal going out west from Leeds is pretty pleasant I think.

OP
OP
L

LucyT

Yep, Bradford is pretty much a hell hole! I don't want to be cycling here - nearly get run over just walking along the pavements . I'd be coming from Morley area so would need to go down Tong Street which is in my opinion the worst road in the world ;)

I was thinking about cycling along the canals up to and around Skipton, I've been on a narrow boat along that stretch of the canal and it seems quite pleasant.

MarkF

Guru
LucyT said:
Yep, Bradford is pretty much a hell hole! I don't want to be cycling here - nearly get run over just walking along the pavements . I'd be coming from Morley area so would need to go down Tong Street which is in my opinion the worst road in the world :biggrin:

I was thinking about cycling along the canals up to and around Skipton, I've been on a narrow boat along that stretch of the canal and it seems quite pleasant.

Tong St! xx(

I live just North of Bradford where it is very, very nice indeed thank you and a world away from South Bradford.

The canal is pretty well surfaced from Leeds all the way to Silsden, a good trip is Apperley Bridge via Saltaire to Keighley, not too energetic (apart from the 5-rise locks) and a good 20+ mile trip.

I love the Leeds- Liverpool canal. :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Alan Whicker said:
God. Bradford. DEWSBURYThe worst place on earth.

And that's from someone who cycles through Stratford, London, once a day.

Fixed that for you Alan.......Bradford is bad, but it has the saving grace of a few decent curry houses (in a "you know what you are letting yourself in for in Bradford" sort of way):smile:

Top Bottom