Hi from Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LucyT

Maybe one day I will cycle in to Bradford. I'm just worried that, faced with the massive hill on the way home, my bike may get left at work after the first journey in!

I've got myself a few maps and stuff now so I'm planning a trip out this weekend. I have heard of the Spen Valley Greenway but I'm unsure of where it starts near to me? Could it be Dewsbury?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=15&lat=53.68435&lon=-1.64215&layers=B000

There you go. The opencyclemap says that it starts just outside of Dewsbury. It may not be complete of course but it's on there.

Stourton roundabout isn't too bad... from the A61 side you drop down under the bridge without any problem (careful on the mini roundabout at the top- it's really sharp). The dodgy bit is deciding whether to ride down the middle of the 2 lanes until after the motorway exit- which is what I do, or crossing the left hand lane twice.

Going home is a shocker though. That hill is a swine, and all the motorists accelerating off the roundabout...

I used to work in Leeds near Tetleys (when we lived in Stanley), & rode that way in; up through Ouzlewell Green, up Jumbles Lane, & along A61/Leeds Road, & down through Stourton/Hunslet

Yes, coming home could be a nightmare, especially when I finished at 18:00.
The roundabout at the bottom of Bell Hill was horrific, especially in the 3-lane section when the drivers in the left-lane (for Pontefract/Castleford/Oulton) wanted to be over in the right lane (M1) & visa-versa

And I wanted the centre lane to go up Bell Hill towards Robin Hood & Lofthouse.
Then the ignorant/careless/stupid/murderous gits all carved you up to turn left onto Wood Lane (pre traffic-lights...... I finished working in Leeds in March 1997)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hello there

Top Bottom