Hi from Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

Welcome LucyT. :thumbsup:

shippers

I lived in Bradford for 4 years. As you ridge the hills to drop into the city, traffic law ceases to apply.
Now in Wakefield, but commute to Leeds, frequently on't bike. (A61, through city centre, up A660 past Lawnswood.)
I think I know the "sauna" in Hunslet, just under the new Motorway flyover. On top of a chip shop. Nice.

OP
OP
L

LucyT

shippers said:
I lived in Bradford for 4 years. As you ridge the hills to drop into the city, traffic law ceases to apply.
Now in Wakefield, but commute to Leeds, frequently on't bike. (A61, through city centre, up A660 past Lawnswood.)
I think I know the "sauna" in Hunslet, just under the new Motorway flyover. On top of a chip shop. Nice.

Yeah that's the one!

I am going to start cycling into Leeds when I get a bit fitter and would also be going on the A61 but I'm a bit worried about the big roundabout at Stourton :becool: perhaps I'm just being a wimp though!

shippers

Stourton roundabout isn't too bad... from the A61 side you drop down under the bridge without any problem (careful on the mini roundabout at the top- it's really sharp). The dodgy bit is deciding whether to ride down the middle of the 2 lanes until after the motorway exit- which is what I do, or crossing the left hand lane twice.

Going home is a shocker though. That hill is a swine, and all the motorists accelerating off the roundabout...

beetlebug

Hello :ohmy:

I'm new too and cycle to work in Bradford everyday. It's insane. I use music as a way to distance myself from the psychotic drivers. I try and remove the target from my back every week but it never seems to work ;-) At least most of my commute has shared bus/cycle lanes (aka car parks) and the Police are monitoring them. Occasionally. But it's not a commute I would relish...

Where in Bradford do you work? I work at the University :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

LucyT

Beetlebug - I work on the science park just behind the uni so not far from you. Don't think I'll ever cycle into Bradford - from a safety but also a lazy point of view (13 miles each way and I'm really not that fit at the moment - especially for the uphill homeward journey!)

Shippers - thanks for the roundabout advice. I may tackle it somepoint soon. I did notice that there is a path all the way round so I could always get off and walk if I lose my nerve :tired: My ex used to take me that way on his motorbike - I just used to just hold on and pray!!!

shippers

beetlebug said:
Hello ;)

I'm new too and cycle to work in Bradford everyday. It's insane. I use music as a way to distance myself from the psychotic drivers. I try and remove the target from my back every week but it never seems to work ;-) At least most of my commute has shared bus/cycle lanes (aka car parks) and the Police are monitoring them. Occasionally. But it's not a commute I would relish...

Where in Bradford do you work? I work at the University :smile:

I misread that- thought you said you use magic. Would probably work better!

beetlebug

LucyT said:
Beetlebug - I work on the science park just behind the uni so not far from you. Don't think I'll ever cycle into Bradford - from a safety but also a lazy point of view (13 miles each way and I'm really not that fit at the moment - especially for the uphill homeward journey!)

Ahhh you never know! I started doing a 2 mile commute and added on till I reached the whole distance. It's a bit soul destroying doing long-ish rides in rush hour tho (imho)...

beetlebug

shippers said:
I misread that- thought you said you use magic. Would probably work better!

I tried magic but soon ran out. I also tried pointing out to stupid drivers why they were stupid but that was a bit suicidal... So now I use Rammstein to make me happy and it seems to work the best!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's a bit soul destroying doing long-ish rides in rush hour tho (imho)...

It's quite invigorating once you do it a few times.

I do exactly the same commute as Lucy is trying to avoid but in reverse - North Bradford > Tong > Morley > White Rose Centre - 12.5 miles (found a few shortcuts).

Once you get past the Tong School towards Morley, it's semi-countryside and a rather nice ride.

I too hate the Bradford part of my commute. Road users there have their own highway code.

Chrisc

Guru
Welcome! Lots of nice canal paths round Wakey that I use now and then for a gentle toddle out. They mostly join up with riverside paths so you can get to Ravensthorpe or Huddersfield without using tarmac and almost all the way into Bradford on the Spen Valley Greenway.

Alan Whicker

I was back up North this weekend and was told by my roadie brother that Northern Rail has the best bicycle policy of any train company. The trains through the Aire Valley have those bike hangers in each carriage. Endless potential there.

* jealous face *

Top Bottom