Hill advice/Training for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@S.Giles my avg cad up a hill is close to that of my avg cad most of the time 85-90rpm, though I am not sure how accurate the uphill/downhill thing is on the Bryton site, seems a bit off sometimes, also don't forget you have gravity to overcome which is why you slow down, so whilst spinning a lower gear might seem the same you are actually working harder.

Boon 51

Veteran
It also helps if you have the right size cassette.

Big Nick

Did my first proper 'long' hill (for me!) the other day, a grade 3 which is around 1.5 miles long, I really suffered especially as the steepest part is the last quarter mile but eventually made it up without having to stop. Lowest gear from the bottom, focussed on maintaining cadence and breathing rate and concentrated and eventually the end came into sight at which point no matter what I wasn't stopping!

I was really chuffed and am starting to realise hills are not to be feared but are a challenge, you'll not always beat them but when you do its a good feeling!

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Didn't you just get that bike Coggy, or am I mixing you up with someone else?
If I am correct I think this might be part of the problem as it takes a while to get used to a new bike and some different pedals here a slight change in saddle height there, not to mention getting used to changing gear, can make all the difference. Also it is possible that with a nice new shiny racer you went out too quickly rather than pacing yourself.
Please excuse me if none of this is relevant.

Yes, Yes & yes

Probably !

:blush:

BAtoo

Über Member
@S.Giles , also don't forget you have gravity to overcome which is why you slow down,

Listening to the TdF commentary the other day apparently when you - well the pro's on the TdF - hit a 5% hill the force required to overcome gravity becomes the most significant force - more than wind resistance & friction etc.

Whether this is true at the speeds we mostly cycle at I'm not sure.

Listening to the TdF commentary the other day apparently when you - well the pro's on the TdF - hit a 5% hill the force required to overcome gravity becomes the most significant force - more than wind resistance & friction etc.

Whether this is true at the speeds we mostly cycle at I'm not sure.
The same applies, as it is mass against gravity, so it applies to us all, how fast we can do it is down to fitness.

BAtoo

Über Member
Sure, but I'm sure wind resistance is not a straight live vs speed, I think more like the square so the cross over point will vary. I know when I'm climbing the speed is pretty low so there's not much wind resistance to overcome. and it all seems to be gravity....

Sure, but I'm sure wind resistance is not a straight live vs speed, I think more like the square so the cross over point will vary. I know when I'm climbing the speed is pretty low so there's not much wind resistance to overcome. and it all seems to be gravity....
This is why I tend to do what hills I do when it a little windy speed isn't effected so much.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have yet to get off and push. I have got off and rested for 3 or 4 minutes though and did so once last Saturday.
It's not resting, it's admiring the view. I do that too.:thumbsup:
My hill climbing is better now my saddle is at the proper height. Much less tiring. Who'd have thought that it would make that much of a difference. We don't have that many hills around here, not proper hills anyway. There is a Cat 3 if I go off to Swanton Morley but I'm not that desperate to go up it tonight.

Living down South were according to my Northern friends there are no hills, the hills in real time round here tend to be short and sharp, the result is that in a short distance you can find oneself, huffing and puffing up and down one hill after the other, which becomes soul destroying but does soon teach and improve your skill at hill climbing, nice steady cadence, relax, make sure you are breathing in a nice steady manner plenty of oxygen in the blood and if you are not in a race don't rush, enjoy the view.

Living down South were according to my Northern friends there are no hills, the hills in real time round here tend to be short and sharp, the result is that in a short distance you can find oneself, huffing and puffing up and down one hill after the other, which becomes soul destroying but does soon teach and improve your skill at hill climbing, nice steady cadence, relax, make sure you are breathing in a nice steady manner plenty of oxygen in the blood and if you are not in a race don't rush, enjoy the view.
Prefer undulating rides, I went into North Lincs last Friday, boring as hell for about 50 miles. Kent isn't flat either.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Prefer undulating rides, I went into North Lincs last Friday, boring as hell for about 50 miles. Kent isn't flat either.

My cousin has set off on London to Paris today.

I looked at her Strava update of first 80 from Greenwich Park through kent to Dover and can confirm that Kent is most definitely not flat.

80 miles in 5.5 Hrs and a total gain of almost 6000 ft.

Just another 3 days of similar distance before she turns around and heads back on Eurostar on Sunday.

My cousin has set off on London to Paris today.

I looked at her Strava update of first 80 from Greenwich Park through kent to Dover and can confirm that Kent is most definitely not flat.

80 miles in 5.5 Hrs and a total gain of almost 6000 ft.

Just another 3 days of similar distance before she turns around and heads back on Eurostar on Sunday.
I used to live near Rochester and drove around there for a living.
Good on her i wish her well.

Does anyone have any good tips for hills ?

Standing up does not always mean you're attacking the hill - you can also stand simply to recruit different muscle groups to vary a climb, before returning to the saddle. If you do, you may also find it easier, or indeed necessary to shift up a couple of gears at the same time. Someone once advised me to 'listen to your body' about when to stand and sit, and I think it's generally good advice, once you've firmly told your body that you're not going to listen when it starts whining and wanting to stop! Everything else is in the mind :smile:

Top Bottom