Hill advice/Training for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Living down South were according to my Northern friends there are no hills, the hills in real time round here tend to be short and sharp, the result is that in a short distance you can find oneself, huffing and puffing up and down one hill after the other, which becomes soul destroying but does soon teach and improve your skill at hill climbing, nice steady cadence, relax, make sure you are breathing in a nice steady manner plenty of oxygen in the blood and if you are not in a race don't rush, enjoy the view.
Most of my riding's around the north and south downs and you're spot on, it's a real nice work out going up and down so often.
I went up Holme Moss in Yorkshire recently on a 47x18 gear to watch the bicycle racing and all the way from Holmfirth I didn't put my foot down once*. I found it surprisingly easy, so thank you Kent, Surrey and Sussex!

*I put my foot down twice, not once. This was during the steepest part of the climb and was only because my heart was beating like a bastard I was waiting for my mate/got held up by the crowds. :whistle:

it will get easier just takes time.
No, it does not get easier; but you will go up them quicker!!
Keep practising, Coggy.

RickyB

Regular
This hill advice is great, I am currently avoiding hills. Have been on two rides, the first was including a massive hill and was a total distance of 3 miles, second ride was with almost no hills and was almost 6 miles and much more enjoyable. Problem is, I live in a Cornwall ha ha. Do people stand up to cycle up a hill?

huwsparky

Über Member
Do people stand up to cycle up a hill?

I'm a novice and I have to stand regularly. Anything near 5% for 300m or more and I have to stand. I've had my bike a week tomorrow and covered about 70 miles so far and I can feel climbing improvement which is such a boost.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't attack it. That's the best way for you to knacker yourself out before you've even started. Take it easy. Relax, don't grip the handlebars, breath steady and deeply. Choose a low gear and spin up.
The better you get at climbing you can then drop a couple of gears.
Exactly this.
RELAX, especially the upper body.
Sit back on the saddle, finger-tips on the bars
RELAX
Pick a gear and winch yourself up.
Oh, and Relax that upper body ....

Now it does depend on the type of hill. Shorst sharp ones I like to go at out of the saddle.
In fact I'm odd in that I like riding hills out of the saddle more than most ... but then I'm a bit weird. I have good leg strength but poor cardio-vascular performance. Maybe that's why.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Standing up does not always mean you're attacking the hill - you can also stand simply to recruit different muscle groups to vary a climb, before returning to the saddle. If you do, you may also find it easier, or indeed necessary to shift up a couple of gears at the same time. Someone once advised me to 'listen to your body' about when to stand and sit, and I think it's generally good advice, once you've firmly told your body that you're not going to listen when it starts whining and wanting to stop! Everything else is in the mind :smile:
I'd go with that. But then I tend to climb in a slightly higher gear than most.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
I live at the top of a really big hill (well a mountain technically here in Wales). As I'm a wobbly rider who is returning I'm going to have to resign myself to walking my bike home, but you are all giving me hope that one day I'll be riding back up my hill.
Great post everyone and support. I'm going to try and embrace the hills / slopes I find out and about in knowing they will get me ready for triumph at home... one day! ;)

Top Bottom