Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem with turning back is that if turning back sends you in the opposite direction to where you want to go. Which may even be home!

Yes, that was the problem. That hill is right by where I stay at weekends, it's too steep to ride 'cold' so I save it for the end of the ride and go straight past the gate, up the hill and a short extra loop back home. I knew full well that by turning back I'd be home in 30 seconds or so...but that I'd already done my 50km for the ride. Tricky one. Still trying to work out a figure of 8 ride that I like which would put it in the middle. ^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
.....I don't think so! If you give a hill your best and it defeats you, so what? Keep trying and you eventually get better at the hills, or at least thats my thought on the subject.

No doubt this will open a can of worms! What do others think?
Could always trade the bike in against some walking boots.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Even i have done the walk of shame:okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, that was the problem. That hill is right by where I stay at weekends, it's too steep to ride 'cold' so I save it for the end of the ride and go straight past the gate, up the hill and a short extra loop back home. I knew full well that by turning back I'd be home in 30 seconds or so...but that I'd already done my 50km for the ride. Tricky one. Still trying to work out a figure of 8 ride that I like which would put it in the middle. ^_^
May I suggest, that you are just a teeny bit bit bonkers. I mean, riding straight past the opportunity to sit down, take your shoes off and have a cuppa, and up a big hill. :smile:

May I suggest, that you are just a teeny bit bit bonkers. I mean, riding straight past the opportunity to sit down, take your shoes off and have a cuppa, and up a big hill. :smile:
Most of the people that know me would disagree vehemently with you on that...specifically the "teeny bit" ! :laugh:

Besides, how could I *not* try the hill? I see it every time I set out, taunting me, calling me names....(deep breaths, where are my pills?)

Sharky

Guru
Get a trike every hill is climbable even at 2 mph :smile:
Done that on my tandem trike, with my daughter, putting force on the pedals in the wrong direction. Had to hold the tandem with the brakes to stop rolling back, back pedal half a turn, then force the pedals round half a turn, then repeat until we got to the top!

Nothing wrong with walking up hills but, that said, I never do that.

I had a similar problem on a local hill once. I'd had a very heavy cold for about a week and got back on my bike too soon after 'recovering'. In fact I was still very weak. I went into severe distress when trying to ride up the hill and realised that I was about to collapse so I dismounted, put my bike over a dry stone wall and then fell over the wall and collapsed unconscious into a pile of leaves on the other side! I woke up some time later drenched in sweat and shivering violently. I went home and back to bed. I left it a couple of weeks before trying again ... :whistle:
Similar problem whilst not much hill climbing there were a few short climbs, however I started to come down with an infection gaul bladder kidney some 8 miles from home, anyway this day I decided the route south on the A1 seemed the best way home except that was the wrong direction https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1518500 the 20 mile mark is where i started to be ill missed a junction and all I could think was right hence the little (19miles) diversion towards Donny.

Quite relevant for me, this topic.
Mountain Hill bank steep incline within a mile of my house that cant avoid. When I started commuting went out 3-4 times to do the hill just by itself to make sure I could get up it without walking. I have walked up hills before and dont know what it is, perceived shame, or maybe as someone else sated, just dissapoinment, but hate walking. So made sure I could get up it, and after 5 months of commuting I never even thought about the hill, knew I could get up it and even relished the bit extra effort needed...however, for one reason or another I haven't commuted since Nov 27th. I have been out a few times tho, and have realised I have lost any cycling fitness I previously had - the biggest thing stopping me commuting now tho, is just that hill...I know I will not be able to get up it and its seriously pi55ing me off...have looked at possibly another way but its and extra 5 miles.
So am looking to gently get cycling fitness back by doing odd 8-10 mile rides when time allows and hopefully start the commute again when better weather comes (in other words, making excuses :-(...its completely stupid, I know I should just do it and if I walk so what, but, its seen by no-one else other than me, as a massive sign of unfitness/failure, especially as only 2 months ago I had no problem with it.

:sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Quite relevant for me, this topic.
Mountain Hill bank steep incline within a mile of my house that cant avoid. When I started commuting went out 3-4 times to do the hill just by itself to make sure I could get up it without walking. I have walked up hills before and dont know what it is, perceived shame, or maybe as someone else sated, just dissapoinment, but hate walking. So made sure I could get up it, and after 5 months of commuting I never even thought about the hill, knew I could get up it and even relished the bit extra effort needed...however, for one reason or another I haven't commuted since Nov 27th. I have been out a few times tho, and have realised I have lost any cycling fitness I previously had - the biggest thing stopping me commuting now tho, is just that hill...I know I will not be able to get up it and its seriously pi55ing me off...have looked at possibly another way but its and extra 5 miles.
So am looking to gently get cycling fitness back by doing odd 8-10 mile rides when time allows and hopefully start the commute again when better weather comes (in other words, making excuses :-(...its completely stupid, I know I should just do it and if I walk so what, but, its seen by no-one else other than me, as a massive sign of unfitness/failure, especially as only 2 months ago I had no problem with it.

:sad:
Forget it and walk up the bits you need to, as it is currently it's stopping you from getting fitter! Just aim a little higher each time or pause, take a quick breather and do a little bit more:okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Riding up Ditchling Beacon last weekend I shoulder checked and saw a line of four cars behind me. I pulled over to let them pass. Purely out of politeness, you understand. And having pulled over I paused to admire the Sussex view for a couple of minutes - as anyone in possession of a soul must. The fact that it enabled me to regain use of my legs was purely incidental.

Top Bottom