Hilly forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sun 14th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is anybody up for my final hilly forum ride of 2010 from Hebden Bridge? I've devised a route which is a bit different to most of the other rides that I've organised. It takes in a few stretches of road that I haven't done before and the cafe stop is one I haven't done either.

It's a tough little route and it will certainly make legs hurt. (I need to try and get some quality miles in before then!)

Ride stats: Distance : 85 km (53 miles); Climbing: 1,900 m (6,200 ft) (some very steep!) 

One cafe stop after 65 km (40 miles) so carry enough food and drink to get you that far. (That could easily take me 4 hours!)

Route: Hebden Bridge, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Sawood, Manywells Height, Cullingworth, Harden, Bingley, East/West Morton, Brunthwaite, Silsden Moor, Farnhill, Cononley, Lothersdale, Black Lane Ends, Laneshaw Bridge, Scar Top Moor Lodge (cafe stop), Stanbury, Haworth, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope, Cock Hill, Hebden Bridge.

The route on Bikely

I think we should aim to set off at 09:30 [TIME CHANGED] because it will be getting dark shortly after 16:00 and our average speed will be slow so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:15 (Map showing car park). It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - parking wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay to at least 17:00! 

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right (not the first little one, the bigger one further on).

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:15 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!  

I'd suggest that you carry lights in case mechanical problems delay us. 

Change of date - Sunday 14th

If snow and ice set in early again this year, then forget it! Some of the roads are very quiet lanes which might not get gritted and some of the climbs and descents are very steep and would be very dangerous in icy conditions.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm out for this one, just checked the diary and I'm working the weekend, but in all honesty if I was to be able to make it, I think I would struggle. For some unknown reason my fitness has took a severe dip since doing "Season of the Mists" and I cannot work out why. Yesterdays ride was hell, I set myself a below avg ride at 15mph avg for a 60 mile hilly ride and I could not even manage that, my legs just had no go on the hills at all and I've been like that all last month as well. Some rides as well I feel as if I have never ridden a bike before as I can be in agony after just 3 miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm out for this one, just checked the diary and I'm working the weekend, but in all honesty if I was to be able to make it, I think I would struggle.
I'll definitely be struggling! I just haven't got to grips with my cycling this year. It's been my worst one for about 10 years (forum rides excepted, of course)!

For some unknown reason my fitness has took a severe dip since doing "Season of the Mists" and I cannot work out why. Yesterdays ride was hell, I set myself a below avg ride at 15mph avg for a 60 mile hilly ride and I could not even manage that, my legs just had no go on the hills at all and I've been like that all last month as well. Some rides as well I feel as if I have never ridden a bike before as I can be in agony after just 3 miles.
Overtraining perhaps? A mate suffered from it one season and it took him 6 months to get over it.

Or perhaps you've picked up some sort of low-level virus which is affecting your performance without making you feel ill?

Actually, I just reread what you'd written. A target of 15 mph for a hilly ride is pretty quick. That's only 6 hrs 40 mins for a Century. On the last forum ride with you, you seemed to be much fitter that you were for SITD! (Mind you, it could just be me being much less fit... :sad: )

More than happy to start earlier if you want. :smile:
09:00 is about as early as I could face in mid-November! It could be bitterly cold at that time of day, and the earlier we start, the more likely we are to encounter icy patches. 

Rammylad

Sorry Colin, Got the Whinlatter duathlon the day after so need to conserve all i can. Hope you have a great day and hopefully will see you soon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry Colin, Got the Whinlatter duathlon the day after so need to conserve all i can. Hope you have a great day and hopefully will see you soon.
Well, you never know - it might get put back by a week if the weather is bad on the proposed weekend so watch this space (you too Zack).

Enjoy the duathlon!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for the link Colin, can I put myself down as a maybe for now, i'd be coming from the other side of Blackburn so twould be maybe bit far. Especially as ive not been cycling for a while!
Well, if you can make it, you'd be welcome! If you do come - bring a nice low climbing gear, or some bionic legs...

I can't make it as I have agreed to take some kids caving, in my experience that should mean torrential rain on 13th.. sorry!
Aaargh - if it is anything like it has been here today, it will get put back a week!   :rain:

Svendo

Guru
I'm not available on 13th (party night before) but could do the 20th if it's postponed. Any chance of putting the route on bikely (or similar)? can't quite work out you're route round the north of keighley.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm not available on 13th (party night before) but could do the 20th if it's postponed. Any chance of putting the route on bikely (or similar)? can't quite work out you're route round the north of keighley.
I've made it a Saturday to allow people like Calum and/or Bokonon to get here in time by train if they fancy it (colly seems to be absent from the forum these days - colly, do you still check in?). 

If nobody is coming by train then there is no reason why it couldn't be Sunday 14th instead, but I'll wait and see what the numbers are for the Saturday before deciding.  

The route on Bikely

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll cautiously express an interest, and a willingness to take a passenger or two and their bikes over from York area.  No guarantees just yet, though.  It all depends.
That's good. Let's see how many people fancy the first Saturday and what the weather is doing on the run up to it. 

I am free on the 13th, 14th, 20th & 21st so I'm hoping that one of those days is okay to get a decent ride in but I'm flexible as to which day it is.

I was looking out of my window yesterday at heavy rain and low cloud and I wouldn't want to do the ride in those conditions.

Paul_L

Über Member
Mmmmm, i'm a maybe for this one as quite a lot of the route is very near me.

The road from Stanbury up past Ponden to Laneshawbridge is one of my favourite roads as well.

I'm not able to do the 13th as got commitments that day, but should be ok for the 20th.

Top Bottom