Hilly forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sun 14th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mmmmm, i'm a maybe for this one as quite a lot of the route is very near me.

The road from Stanbury up past Ponden to Laneshawbridge is one of my favourite roads as well.

I'm not able to do the 13th as got commitments that day, but should be ok for the 20th.
We'll be doing that road in the opposite direction, so Laneshawbridge first.

It's one of my favourites too. I normally do it on a loop through Oxenhope and Trawden, then back via Widdop.

Sorry big C I'm visiting relatives over in Ireland.. damn!
The aim is to do it on the 13th, but it might get put back to the 20th if the weather lets us down.

You never know, even if we do it on the 13th, as long as it doesn't kill me I might consider doing it again the following weekend for those who couldn't make the original ride!

Garz

Squat Member
Very commendable that would be Colin!

Did you sort out your wheel (spoke) as since the Blackpool ride cut short that adventure I never got to hear the repair story?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Very commendable that would be Colin!

Did you sort out your wheel (spoke) as since the Blackpool ride cut short that adventure I never got to hear the repair story?
Yeah, I bought a pack of 4 spokes for £8 (they are fancy Mavic straight-pull bladed ones). The mate I bought the wheels off refunded £10 to me and put the spoke in for me and retrued the wheel.

I got the wheels for a bargain price with tyres and tubes thrown in, so apart from the ride being half-spoilt and having to pay the rail fare home, I can't really complain! 

I've done about 130 miles on the wheel since then and it has been fine. I'm considering carrying a spoke key and one of the spare spokes (down the seat tube) just in case though. The good thing is - because they are straight-pull, the cassette side spokes can be replaced with the wheel still in the bike. 

PaulB

Legendary Member
13th I can go, 14th I can go. Either of those dates suit me and I'll make every effort to be there.

Hicky

Guru
I'm interested if the ride takes place the following week ie 20th.....if the weather isnt similar to now :angry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm interested if the ride takes place the following week ie 20th.....if the weather isnt similar to now :angry:
It's been raining off and on here for days - I've had enough of it!

Oh my, that sounds quite simply delightful Colin! One shall most certainly attend! :tongue:
Excellent, I'm glad one will be attending, now get to work on the other two! (I PM'd them but haven't heard anything back yet.) 

Calum

I might see Bokonon in uni, if I do, i'll ask.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Currently glorious sunshine up in Dunfermline... How's Hebdon?
It was lovely here today too. Unfortunately, I had lots to do and couldn't manage to squeeze a ride in. Hopefully it will be fine again tomorrow and I will.

On my shopping trip, I couldn't resist buying 4 bottles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Lidl - £1.12 for a 750 mL bottle - what a bargain! (I'm assuming that it is good quality. If not, I'm going to be regretting it until Christmas...) The offer ends tomorrow, so buy some this evening or on Sunday.

colly

Re member eR
Hey Colin..............I'm not quite dead yet.:hello:

Thanks for the message about this and as much as I would enjoy coming along this one isn't for me.:sad:

It's been a hectic few months one way and another so me and the bike are pretty much strangers. I've not even looked in here either for some time.
I managed a ride last weekend though and it was f****** murder.:wacko:

A hilly one out of Hebden would just about do for me I reckon so I'll give it a miss. Sorry.

I've got a bit more time now so i'll get some rides under my belt and will tag along in a while. Have a good one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hey Colin..............I'm not quite dead yet.:hello:

Thanks for the message about this and as much as I would enjoy coming along this one isn't for me.:sad:

It's been a hectic few months one way and another so me and the bike are pretty much strangers. I've not even looked in here either for some time.
I managed a ride last weekend though and it was f****** murder.:wacko:  

A hilly one out of Hebden would just about do for me I reckon so I'll give it a miss. Sorry.

I've got a bit more time now so i'll get some rides under my belt and will tag along in a while. Have a good one.
Hi colly - I heard about a cyclist being killed in north Leeds last week and for a moment worried that it might have been you. Then I thought how unlikely that was, and later discovered that it was a schoolteacher, poor chap - R.I.P.

I'm very unfit myself at the moment so I'll be keeping people waiting quite a while on some of the climbs if they shoot on ahead. I'm going to go out soon and get 20-25 miles in while we have some sunshine.

It's unlikely that I will be organising much else in 2010 after this one (and its possible rerun a week later) but let's hope for a mild winter and prepare for the 2011 mini-North-West Passage in February, eh? 

tubbycyclist

Hi Colin, a quick heads up that there are signs up that the road over Ponden Reservoir is due to be closed from tomorrow for 7 weeks, so you may need to have a route back planned via Haworth as a back up if it is not open to cyclists.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, a quick heads up that there are signs up that the road over Ponden Reservoir is due to be closed from tomorrow for 7 weeks, so you may need to have a route back planned via Haworth as a back up if it is not open to cyclists.
Thanks for that Kevin. It's usually possible to get past roadworks on bikes, but let's go for 'Plan B' instead just in case - it saves us going into the valley and then having to turn round and go back the other way if the road is completely blocked. Anyway, the views from Dean Edge Road are good.

After the cafe stop, continue along to Oakworth, then turn right at Lane End, drop down into the valley and have a steep little climb back up to Haworth. I'd toyed with going that way when I was plotting the original route. I've updated the route on Bikely.

The amended route is 85.8 km (53.3 miles) with that tougher climb to Haworth.

Top Bottom