Holme Moss at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
This is something that I've been thinking of for a while.

How about repeating the loop we did in November but on a moonlit July or August evening?

Possible route here.

This is just a sounding out, so any ideas are welcome and the route is flexible.
Apart from the hills.
If it's been dry for a while we could pop along the Transpennine trail for a couple of miles after coming down the big hill.

There's a couple of weekends in July/August that fall close to the full moon. 3rd or 10th July or seventh August.
I'm thinking a Friday as we can stop for food and sustenance at the 24hr Tescos in Glossop, the cafe won't be open but we could raid the shelves and use the loo. Other than that I don't think there will be anything else open. 24hr garage in Stalybridge possibly :biggrin: Don't know about Holmfirth.

I think it worked out at around fifty miles. I'd do a recce ride beforehand to check the route and road surfaces.

Bad weather would quite likely stop play. Good lights are a must.

So, anyone fancy it? Have I missed anything out?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What route did you do in November? I missed out on a recent Holme Moss ride as it was cancelled due to this thing called rain. After doing the snake at night/dawn I'd quite like it. The only thing is I'd have no idea where to meet up!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could deffo be tempted - if looking at the TPT, then it's hybrid / MTB ?

My new Hope 1's fit the MTB and fixed - I'd be OK using the MTB, but don't expect any high speed descents an tarmac with the off road tyres - the bike 'wanders' some what....

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
On the map here - route in purple - we went from near Mossley but this could easily be changed to suit who's coming/going.
It says it's 30 miles so I was way out, maybe counting the distance to and from home.

A nine pm start would see us finish at around 2am. This is a rough guess only.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Could deffo be tempted - if looking at the TPT, then it's hybrid / MTB ?

I'd do it on the Fondriest if it's been dry for a few days beforehand. But only if it's been dry.

Bokonon

Über Member
I've been looking for an excuse to get a dynahub. Providing I can devise some means of getting back to somewhere at the end then I'd consider it.

marinyork

Longers, thanks, I'm less concerned about the miles thesedays. Would prefer to take the racebike but there's no reason why I couldn't take the hybrid, did it last time on that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sooo...are we looking at a 30 mile circuit.... the rest is the meet up miles....?

So long as the weather is OK (Dan / Longers you are nutters - aka..winter rides up HM...) I could let Dan have my second Hope at the meet up if you don't have a nasty bright light.....

marinyork

I hope to have a bike carrier by then if it helps anyone (not promising anything and equally am mad enough to want to cycle to the starting point).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I may well be up for this....

Provided I can convince SWMBO to let me out.

I'll have to beg, borrow or steal some lights, I dont think a couple of piddly little LED flashers will quite cut the mustard :ohmy:

still that shouldn't be too much of a problem :biggrin:

Top Bottom