Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Before the year is out I think it'd be good to have a CC ride in this part of the world.

How about a loop from Saddleworth to Holmfirth over Holme Moss over to Royston Vasey and then back to Saddleworth?

There's a strong possibility of having a cake stop in a Mongolian Yurt at a Garden Centre near the finish.

The weather might be unpleasant, especially on the tops and we would be going a fair way up a couple of times.

Possible route here.

How about sunday 7th Dec? This date could be changed if anyone actually feels like coming along.

a_n_t

strange! thats where I'm taking the wheelers clubrun on sunday!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/manchester/105212737566 :smile:

yenrod

Could be heavy IF its bad likeyousay BUT mild n damp is bizarrely handleable !

If I was doing it - id just stay behind you ! :smile:

I know these places are rough as ***k around this time of year as Ive done a circular off-road route in Hawes. Rewarding, mind - but bloody all the same :biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
a_n_t said:
strange! thats where I'm taking the wheelers clubrun on sunday!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/manchester/105212737566 :smile:

From that, are you going back and out on the same route?

There'll be roadworks and the road closed to you on the way back between Woolley Bridge and Mottram. It is do-able through the cones but you could head back to Charlesworth by turning right by Dinting Viaduct in Glossop and then past Gamesley on the A626.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
As quick or slow as people wanted to go.

Trite answer but it'd be dependant on the speed people wanted to go round, if there's quick folk then they can wait while others travelled at the pace they wanted to.

Shall I put you down as a definite maybe then MarinYork? :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd love to do Holme Moss but I wouldn't do it on my own in the dead of winter so in that sense it is a very good opportunity :biggrin: and it doesn't sound that crazy to me. Moreover the organisation I joined for cycling round here has just wound up most of their regular rides for the winter with a skeleton calendar :smile:. I just meant I'm not going to be whizzing up holme moss at 17mph.

trio25

Über Member
I'm free for once, its the day after a cross race though, so as long as you don't mind the fact I am slow I'll be there.

colly

Re member eR
Unless something comes up that I can't avoid I will tag along.
A few years ago I rode out from Leeds and climbed Holme Moss. It is a real b*gger.

It was a memorable Sunday for more than just the ride.
As I came back through Huddersfield on the Leeds Road I passed the chemical works, I think it is ICI.
I was about 100 yards past the main gate when an almighty boom scared the living daylights out of me. I looked back just in time to see the whole side of a building burst outwards amid clouds of what looked like white smoke.
I wasn't sure which way the wind was blowing so I didn't hang about just in case. Trying to hurry up when you are already shagged out is not easy.

It turned out it was wasn't any kind of chemical explosion but was caused by a steam pipe or something.

Top Bottom