Horrific head-on crash with cyclist and car caught on camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Gobsmacked.

Was that deliberate do you think? Or was the driver turning into the forecourt, didn't look and then scarpered when they realised what they'd done?

Either way, the police MUST track the driver down and throw the book at them. Simply despicable behaviour.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Unlucky to have had that happen, but very very lucky to have only minor injuries.

Hope they trace the driver and throw the book at them. Not holding my breath though.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That was really shocking!
At least the car's registration number could be clearly seen in the footage.

I am sure that the police will find the car driver and give him a mild telling off as they tend to do when 'it's only a cyclist'

I am not sure that fractures count as 'minor injuries'. Not life threatening maybe but minor? I hope that the cyclist chap heals quickly and that the police track the numpty car driver down.

avsd

Guru
Don't think it was deliberate - car had indicator on and may have been turning into Kiwi Fit garage. Driver obviously at fault but just may not have seen cyclist.

Hope cyclist heals quickly. He must have been very good in a previous life to avoid serious injury.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

classic33

Leg End Member
Australian view on this
PoV VW Golf hits cyclist
Although this is in the UK, it is shockingly close to what is happening in Australia. Sent to us tonight, first time watched, it was sickening. This is the sort of video that should be seen by those that want to hurt us and not seen by those that want to ride their bikes.

Sadly, we cannot control who sees this, but we can tell you the rider is recovering fine and is already getting around, minor injuries.

One of the scariest issues being faced by bike riders the world over is the increasingly frequent #CowardsRun (Hit-n-Run) of motorists. It is one of the worst types of person that would leave another injured person on the ground and drive off. It is simply a cowards act and a selfish indictment of society when a person will do all they can to avoid the law.

Cycle is taking a stand against this and we are asking you to join us. We want to make sure that when a #CowardsRun is committed, that we can ensure the perpetrator is sentenced to the full extent of the law. This has to stop, and it is up to us to send a message.

It is time that those people that deem a human life of no concern are taught by consequence that leaving a person to suffer on the side of the road, to die, to endure weeks, months or years of rehabilitation, is not acceptable. It is time our courts used jail.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Shocki...tory-21342411-detail/story.html#ixzz36rgdupRo
— in London.

sidevalve

Über Member
Australian view on this
PoV VW Golf hits cyclist
Although this is in the UK, it is shockingly close to what is happening in Australia. Sent to us tonight, first time watched, it was sickening. This is the sort of video that should be seen by those that want to hurt us and not seen by those that want to ride their bikes.

Sadly, we cannot control who sees this, but we can tell you the rider is recovering fine and is already getting around, minor injuries.

One of the scariest issues being faced by bike riders the world over is the increasingly frequent #CowardsRun (Hit-n-Run) of motorists. It is one of the worst types of person that would leave another injured person on the ground and drive off. It is simply a cowards act and a selfish indictment of society when a person will do all they can to avoid the law.

Cycle is taking a stand against this and we are asking you to join us. We want to make sure that when a #CowardsRun is committed, that we can ensure the perpetrator is sentenced to the full extent of the law. This has to stop, and it is up to us to send a message.

It is time that those people that deem a human life of no concern are taught by consequence that leaving a person to suffer on the side of the road, to die, to endure weeks, months or years of rehabilitation, is not acceptable. It is time our courts used jail.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Shocki...tory-21342411-detail/story.html#ixzz36rgdupRo
— in London.
Sorry if this rains on your parade but the "cowards run" idea is not confined to motorists/cyclists or any othe group. It is just an ever growing disease of our modern society. It's the "Oh I wont take responsibility for my actions" syndrome and it's all over, from minor things [dropping litter] to massive things [out and out manslaughter]. The world is full of stupid arrogant selfish people and they walk/ride/drive about everyday. Enjoy your riding but ALWAYS expect people to do stupid things, I know it sounds preachy but it keeps you alive.

Custom24

Über Member
The report on BT says the car was on false plates. Link :thumbsdown:
I think only one of the comments says that. Unfortunately, that means I had to read the comments...

Russ -
typical blame the motorist, i am a driver and if i saw a car with its indicater on turning towards the kwik fit i would have instinctivlely slowed down as it is obvious that the car is probably going to turn in, thus avoiding an accident, with two cars that is classed as intuitive driving thinking ahead to avoid an accident. if this cyclist did not notice this and continue to cycle in to the car, the car did not crash into him he crashed in to the car! he had plenty of time to avoid him or stop, just because he has a light and a red hat doesnt excuse him not looking for other motorists. car drivers are told to be more aware of stupid cyclists who ride badly. so why shouldnt they,

I couldn't be arsed to sign up to argue with him, but what a reality denying fool. If our biker had been driving a car (no matter how carefully) rather than riding a bike, there would almost certainly still have been a collision.

KneesUp

Guru
PL02 UDP does come up as a blue Golf, although of course it might not be this blue Golf - sometimes people copy plates off similar cars to avoid paying their own road tax.

The MOT on PL02 UDP expires on 19th July, so the 'going to Kwik Fit' story is plausible.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think only one of the comments says that. Unfortunately, that means I had to read the comments...
It says it in the last paragraph of the report:
BT News said:
Police are now using the harrowing footage, which shows a black Volkswagen with stolen number plates, to investigate the incident, which took place on June 21 in Langley Park Road.
Agreed about the comments - there are some pretty nasty, not very bright people who comment on there.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Top Bottom