how do you feel if you skip a days commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Dry.
Warm.

Was working from home today and felt really irritable and fed up generally. Do you think you get kind of addicted to the commute and miss the good feelings that come with exercise? Wouldn't like to think that I will feel a bit crap every time I don't ride the bike to work....maybe just a coincidence.

Why do you have to skip the commute just because you're working from home?

Get up at the same time as your commute, if your commute is a 40 minute journey. Do a 40 minute round trip, then start your work

D

Deleted member 1258

These days I'm not bothered, I drove today, a few years ago it used to make me grumpy

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Timescales:
1) Having breakfast. Delighted that I can have a tea before I leave. Seems so much more relaxed.
2) On the way to work. Stressed, as I think I haven't left enough time. Curse not being able to cycle in.
3) Get to work. Happy, as I just swan out of the car, to my desk, and no getting changed, making tea, general faffing.
4) Morning - more energy than normal.
5) Something goes wrong. Get stressed more than usual. Think nothing of it.
6) Time to head home. Feeling very smug, as no getting dressed, and in minutes, I'm on the road, heading home.
7) Half way home - hit the first queue. Get stressed. Worry about being late. Have to deal with other cars in the way, and can't weave round them. Regret not being able to cycle.
8) Get home. In reasonable time, and walk through the front door for a change. Change is good. Energy to play with my son and help cooking.
9) In generally grumpy mood, but think nothing of it.
10) Go to bed. Wife insists that I cycle in tomorrow, as she can't stand me being in a bad mood any longer.

LoftusRoadie

I have a 19 mile commute each way (most of it along a towpath) - I always cycle to work and up until October I would cycle home pretty much everyday. However now I only cycle home 3 (or 4) nights p.w. Last night (and tonight) I took/will take the train home. Why? Too tired and I really can't force myself to cycle home - I'm 51 and I need to listen to my body. I would rather cycle home but I'm not going to beat myself up about it - If I can't do then i can't do it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I drove on Monday, deciding to wimp out due to the wind and rain. Had to drive again on Tuesday and by the end of the day I was feeling ratty and fed up. Back on the bike yesterday and today and feeling much better !

I am sure that the various hormones released by exercise are addictive, or that the body gets used to them and misses them when they are not released.

biking_fox

Guru
Depends why I missed it, and what else I'm doing. One day off here or there, no big deal. Missing exercise for a few days makes me grumpy though. I ride in all weathers.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
First day back into commuting in over a month (lurgy). That was a tough one. Not only have I put on weight and lost fitness, but I had a stinking headwind in both directions.

Having said that, I feel much better after the exercise.

Top Bottom