How do you pronounce 'roubaix' and 'audax'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Roo-bay, and Or-dax (to rhyme with axe)

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thank you, both.
...and are they more or less the same thing? Sort of a beefed up road bike with mudguards? ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
To me, Roubaix is a place in France, and an Audax is one of these:

hawker_audax.jpg

Does that help?;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
User3094 said:
A Roubaix (Specialized) is Gods gift to the cycling world, the very epitome of what a road bike should look like, the thing that I spend most of my waking hours lusting after (just before the wife)....

An Audax is some old cranky thing with mudguards that old men with beards dawdle around the countryside on.

OOOOOOH...my bike's an audax and she's beautiful. I'm also not an old man and have no beard. However I do use mudguards and there's a lot of dawdling round the countryside involved in my cycling.

gavintc

Guru
It must be an English affectation to keeping shoving 'r' into words without them; eg Barth. I would pronounce Audax as o-dax with the o similar to the o in stop.

Arch

Married to Night Train
gavintc said:
It must be an English affectation to keeping shoving 'r' into words without them; eg Barth. I would pronounce Audax as o-dax with the o similar to the o in stop.

How would you pronounce audacious, which is from the same root?

Tony

Actually, Roubaix is closer to Roo-Beh than Roo-bay. For full authenticity, gargle a bucket of phlegm before the initial "R".
As for Audax, "ow" if doing it Latin-stylee, "oh" if French. The "aw" bit is an Engliah affectation, a bit like pronouncing "Braun" as "Brawn" instead of "Brown".

Top Bottom