How has 2023 been for you cycling wise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s been a solid year, with no illness, injury or accidents. My monthly ride time tends to be driven much by my audax events, thus March through June sees it increase. Then July through February I keep the frequency up, but drop the length of the rides. Still decent amount of time on the bike, just lower in comparison to the May / June peak. August and October both saw tours which accounts for those monthly hours. Greatly enjoyed the tours.

I used to do long rides nearly every outing but found I’d got good at going a long way slowly. Since mid 2022 I’ve been doing a mix of long and easy, short and hard, short and hilly, medium and medium effort. This has been beneficial for my riding, not only has the variety kept me engaged, but it’s restored some of the old speed, plus made long rides easier.

I have been doing regular pub rides where I meet a friend for a pint and some food. Different country pub each time. Then we ride our separate ways home. Been enjoying those, and typically they end up being a 3-4 hour cycle ride with a couple of hours in the pub.

Audax wise I am currently doing the full ACME winter series of 100km events, one a month. But a recent burst means I’ve been doing a 100km ride every week since early November. I’ll return to 200km and upwards from March with an Easter Arrow in the planning for the end of that month.

Next year I’m looking to ride the second edition of the Wild Atlantic Way Audax from Kinsale to Derry. A 2,100km event up the west coast of Ireland. That’s in July , after which I can ease off the longer distances over the summer.

1703081220030.png

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

Cycling wise it has been a good year, about 10k miles mostly commuting but really good fun! As the journeys are shortish it is easy to relax or blast. But I do think that age is staring to get to me as I don't seem to have much spare energy left, Friday IS harder than Monday

There are of course a few exceptions, a few weeks ago a bloke in a Land Rover said The road's flooded mate, you won't get through. As this meant a 10 mile diversion I decided to take his advice under advisment..... and he was wrong :smile: after about 2 miles where the water was above the top of my short socks it was all fine. Admittedly I was worried if I was riding on the road or the drainage ditch to the side of the road but all ended well.

Cycling equipment wise it has been quite disheartening, the carbon fibre frame failed and the Sunday "laugh" became the commuter.

Although the Raleigh may end up with the Di2 from the Jamis it is quite sad how little difference it all makes to the ride at the end of the day.

I looked at the Ribble site today and in all honesty I would rather buy a Carrera from Halfords and tweak a few bits.

Instead of Di2 becoming more available in 105 form it has simply become an excuse to bump up the price.

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

I have definitely lost my love for bikes, they seem to have become a trendy thing, but not my love for cycling.

I recently took my watch (Tudor Black Shield) in for a sevice and the bill went up from £290 to £570 and nobody in the shop, Fraser Hart, had any interest in justifying or explaining it. The movement is pretty much a mass produced Valjoux 7753 in the same way most frames come from ..... but it is all pretension, this is something special. It was kind of funny, someone buying a new Brietling was being courted and I was being ushered out of the shop.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
2023 has not been the cycling year I had hoped for. Prostate troubles and dental surgery in early summer combined to dent my confidence to the point where I have been happier on 10 mile local loops than going further.

Last week I rode a completely unplanned 45 miles, so there is hope of improvement!

Alex321

Veteran
Generally fairly good for me, though marred by two fairly heavy crashes (both entirely my own fault), the second of which was only 9 days ago, and my ribs and shoulder are still sore from it.

I did my longest ride ever, though it won't seem much to many of you, at 68 miles - but that is still the only 100Km+ ride I have done. I also finally got around to joining one of the local cycling clubs, though I've only been out with them a couple of times so far (it was November when I joined, and a lot of club rides are weekday mornings).

So far (according to Strava) I have ridden 4,107 miles, with 259,002 Feet of elevation gain, spread over 255 rides and 272 hours of riding. With about 10 days to go.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve ridden only about 45km, and that was one day last week while on holiday. It was the first time I’d been able to ride since my crash in early 2018. Not through any physical limitation, I had simply lost all confidence and felt too frightened. While we were on holiday, my wife booked an excursion for us on electrically assisted bikes and I really enjoyed it, although my arse has taken days to recover!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Much better than last year, but still not to the level of the years 2012 - 2019.

I found a new riding companion. In April we did a couple of 80km rides together, in May, we rode 100km or more 4 times.

August, we went on holiday together, and rode a 50 mile, 75 mile and 100 mile day, with another 100km ride on the Bank Holiday Monday.

Next year should be even better, as he gets older and stronger. Just need to keep up with him.

Disappointing!

I've been having problems ever since I had a pacemaker fitted two years ago which meant I could not do the harder climbs on the routes I use. I still get out for two or three 25 mile rides a week but pick flatter routes. It turns out that they have set the upper heart rate limit at a very low level compared to what I was used to doing, so when I work hard not enough blood is pumped to my quads and I almost faint as blood is diverted from the head.

I am trying to get it sorted but so far I am having no luck in contacting the cardiologist, whose authorisation is needed to increase the limit, despite phoning his office and writing to him, but I will keep on trying until I can get this sorted so it doesn't limit my 2024 riding as it has in 2023.

Punkawallah

Über Member
As per.
If you’re not riding it, you’re cleaning it if you’re not cleaning it, you’re fixing it; and if you’re
not fixing it, you’re running round finding the parts to fix it.
Projected Paris to London dropped due to flight going up from £230 to £460, but traipsed round the N Yorks moor instead, and got a 100k ride in to boot.
Got the Galaxy booked in with Winter Frames for a strip and re-spray in April.
If’n I can find the right route, might get a 100 mile ride in next year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not bad.

Four imperial centuries meant I passed a total 100 100 milers, getting my Eddington number to 100, where it will stay. I finished the CC Metric century a month challenge. I've done some really good memorable rides. A couple of FNRttCs. Ride London. A couple of rides through the Costwolds. I entered one 200k audax, but DNFd because it was a punishingly hot day.

I had a bit of a slump when I did my back in and found it hard to start again. But these things happen.

Next year - more of the same, really. Try a bit harder to do an audax or two maybe.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Disappointing!

I've been having problems ever since I had a pacemaker fitted two years ago which meant I could not do the harder climbs on the routes I use. I still get out for two or three 25 mile rides a week but pick flatter routes. It turns out that they have set the upper heart rate limit at a very low level compared to what I was used to doing, so when I work hard not enough blood is pumped to my quads and I almost faint as blood is diverted from the head.

I am trying to get it sorted but so far I am having no luck in contacting the cardiologist, whose authorisation is needed to increase the limit, despite phoning his office and writing to him, but I will keep on trying until I can get this sorted so it doesn't limit my 2024 riding as it has in 2023.

At least you're still cycling bud 👍

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its been a pretty good year. My bike not getting to France for the Pan Celtic Race was a set back. But the organisers giving me a free ticket for next year helped. But being to do something like that is a luxury and has to be seen as such.

Otherwise cyling in Denmark is always a joy. After 20 years and thousands of kms I still find new local tracks. I am planning a 160km which other riders can enjoy. Planning a route on an app and then going out to recce it, is an eye opener. But very intetesting and it is goung well.

Next year I have the Pan Celtic in July. I have not been in the UK for 10 years and so I will not be rushing. All those pub lunches are calling. I will be collecting a new bike in the UK.

I am also joining Audax Danmark next year and letting someone else do the planning a d seeing a bit more of Denmark.

This weekend we start heading towards lighter nights. That will be a welcome change. Its grim at the moment and riding would be no fun.

Completed my 200th commute of the year yesterday (200 trips or 100 round trips). Around 10500km overall with 120,000m of elevation over that distance. A few crashes, one big off early doors on an icy road marking = me in a ditch and a few minor ones.

The year was more of a focus on TT’s and competed in 3 with an aim for 4 next year plus I’ve signed up for the Tour des Stations again😮‍💨

I feel the need to loose weight already 😂

Not good enough!

Finished a little under 1000 miles, not my worst year but I wanted more. And my MTB as per my profile has spent the entire year broken despite me buying the parts to fix it.

I'm not setting a target as such for next year, but if I don't at least double that mileage for this year I'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom