How the media pick a victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
https://medium.com/@lastwheel/how-does-the-media-pick-a-victim-9eb29f52cc6d

1*aaZoWLSxw9-PCZrZ9p0vFA.png

1*G2PxSZ2tfY75Qov_iHZbyQ.png
*ahem*

The incident and its reporting happened in April. No clue in the linked article as to which year, but I have a feeling it wasn't this year. So at least two months ago, if not considerably more. The Evening Standard isn't the Daily Mail's, and hasn't been for three or four years. It now belongs to Evgeny Lebedev, who also owns the Independent, the "i" and "London Live", a rarely watched local TV station - as you'd know if you read any of them or the internet. And as you know if you read the Standard it has one of the more progressive attitudes to cycling - not exactly surprisingly as its core demographic is London commuters.

C-. Must try harder.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wankpanzers for Cockwombles.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

*ahem*

The incident and its reporting happened in April. No clue in the linked article as to which year, but I have a feeling it wasn't this year. So at least two months ago, if not considerably more. The Evening Standard isn't the Daily Mail's, and hasn't been for three or four years. It now belongs to Evgeny Lebedev, who also owns the Independent, the "i" and "London Live", a rarely watched local TV station - as you'd know if you read any of them or the internet. And as you know if you read the Standard it has one of the more progressive attitudes to cycling - not exactly surprisingly as its core demographic is London commuters.

C-. Must try harder.

What has any of that got to do with anything? Do you think I wrote the article?

Who owns the Standard isn't important, relevant or indeed interesting.

srw

What has any of that got to do with anything? Do you think I wrote the article?

Who owns the Standard isn't important, relevant or indeed interesting.
You brought it to our attention, just like the "author" of the "blog" you linked to did to the Standard article. (Quote marks deliberate).

The mistake regarding ownership of the newspaper suggests that the "author" of the article has limited credibility - if you were a barrister in court you'd be milking it for all it's worth. And the delay in reporting suggests that that "author" of the "blog" is rather desperate.

srw

A moment's googling and forum-searching tells me:
(a) I was wrong - it was this year
(b) To my surprise (unless I'm using a duff search term) this case hasn't yet appeared on this forum
(c) Ms McVeigh is a "social media manager" - which means that her job is to generate publicity - in this case for herself.

The original article in the Standard is lazy journalism. The "Blog" is very lazy journalism. Your reporting of the "blog" is very very very lazy journalism.

srw

The author hasn't written a word about the ownership of any newspaper.

I don't think you've read the article you've linked to:
On or before April 20th Alice Hutton working for the Dailymail’s London Evening Standard
(My bold)

My supposition (it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened) is that Ms McVeigh has done a bit of energetic self-promotion. Your chum "lastwheel" has fallen hook, line and sinker, for a rehashed press release.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

You do realise that the Mail and Standard work out of the same offices, share journalists and the DMGT own 24.9%?

srw

You do realise that the Mail and Standard work out of the same offices, share journalists and the DMGT own 24.9%?
Desperate, Glenn. Desperate.

If you had any faith in the rather dodgy article you linked to you'd be trying to defend it.

I deduce that you agree that it's a [Mod Edit] "load of rubbish".

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun

Founder
I don't see any benefit to leaving this thread open. @glenn forger you've posted a link and image and brought no written content over for context, and made no comment yourself to construct a discussion - rather leaving others to comment and then picking at the replies (and respondents).

Next time quote the relevant parts, post your observations, and make a clear point for discussion.

Thanks,
Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom