Which bike to go to a new home?

• Carrera Vulcan

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • GT Nomad Sport

• Sell both, buy another

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
So here's the story;

I have 3 bikes.
Dawes Ultra Galaxy - love it and it's staying indefinitely.

GT Nomad Sport

Pros:
  • Nice to ride - Alivio groupset with combined brake & gear shifters which I like.
  • Good range of gears
Cons:
  • It's a ladies bike and it feels a bit "squished", not uncomfortable but could do with perhaps a bigger frame.
  • There are no braze ons for a rack (Not really a probelm as I use a carradice with SQR)- I have had to fit full length mudguards using P-clips and cable ties as a work around
  • Only room for 1 bottle cage as it's a step through frame. Very annoying when it's winter and I use the electron re-chargable lights as the battery goes in the bottle holder which means I can't use the bottle holder for a drink.
  • Can't use a bar bag or frame bag due to the step through frame. Annoying again as I like using a topeak bar bag for stuffing phone, keys and nibbles in for ease of use (I hate things in my pockets).
Carrera Vulcan V-Spec

Pros:
  • Correct frame size
  • Gents frame so means I can have two bottle cages and use a bar bag/frame bag.
  • can double as a proper MTB or as a commuting bike.
  • has enough braze ons for a full sized rack.
  • Can put knobblies back on and use it in the snow and if I crash it I really won't care.
Cons:
  • It's not very nice to ride compared to the GT. I prefer the alivio gears to the SRAM gears, they feel much nicer.
  • The gearing is too low
  • suspension front fork which doesn't lock
  • It goes really slow
So I was thinking of putting a rigid fork on the Carrera and perhaps going down to 1.5 slicks (currently 1.75 semi-slicks). But I'm conflicted as it goes really slow compared to the GT (hybrid with 700x32 on currently so no surprise there really).

If the GT had a fella's frame then there'd be no contest really as I'm sure you can get some kind of 700c knobblies for a hybrid to use for snow / bumpy/gravel paths.

I want to make room for another bike - a road bike for nice weather. I use the GT or Carrerra for commuting in the rain or if I'm going somewhere it might get nicked. I use the Dawes for all sorts - commuting, shopping, CTC etc, but if it's raining I'll use one of the other bikes out of choice.

So what do you think, which one to get the chop?

Where's the option to sell both and buy a new one?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Where's the option to sell both and buy a new one?

I can't work out how to edit a poll, but you do have a point. That is a potentially good option.

longers

Legendary Member
I think only a mod can edit a poll once it's been set.

Can bits from the GT fit the Carrera to make the Carrera a better ride for you?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
longers said:
I think only a mod can edit a poll once it's been set.

Can bits from the GT fit the Carrera to make the Carrera a better ride for you?

Yes, I'm sure they can, I nicked the front mech off the GT to put on the Carrera already. The combined brake/gear shifters I can do no problem. I don't think it would be worth it with the current gearing though. Don't know if you can swap front chain rings from a hybrid to put on a MTB. Suppose you can but never done that before and sounds quite tricky.

longers

Legendary Member
It's worth asking in the know how section about that. You'll need to be able to set up your front mech with the different rings but if you've swapped that already then it might be ok with a bit of tweaking and other than that it's chain length to sort out if the rings are different sizes, I think, but there's possibly more to it than that.

If you're going to keep one, the Carrera sounds the most useful because it will fulfill several roles including hack/mtn bike.

You can upgrade bits but you need to decide what you want to upgrade that you're not happy with and then price it. If it adds up to more than selling it and buying a new one it's not worth it unless the bike has sentimental value.

As Longers says, you should be able to swap the front chainrings, normally without changing the front mech but you'd need to check on the designed range of the front mech (see technical bumf or website), new chainrings are sort of 20 to 30 quid new (each). Swapping the SRAM gears is probably possible for a better SRAM model, not sure about trying to fit Shimano, I think the indexing is different so you can't. Replacement forks with a lockout are going to be expensive unless you can get one 2nd hand, maybe possible.

So do-able but perhaps not economic.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
your bikes, your problem :wacko:

Plax said:
I'm currently drooling over a Dawes Tanami
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-198-tanami-gents.aspx

It's probably a bit too much like the galaxy (but obviously not as nice) though being trekking bike. Some thinner tyres though and who knows...... Maybe I should drool over the Discovery range instead. I think I must have a Dawes fettish.

It looks very different to the Galaxy and very interesting, 'tisn't light though, 15.6Kg. I like Dawes too, always had a soft spot for them, that's why I've got one now.

Top Bottom