Which bike to go to a new home?

• Carrera Vulcan

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • GT Nomad Sport

• Sell both, buy another

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
So, is this N-1, N-2 or N-3?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Fixed That For You.

As in 'I have quoted your post and amended it for accuracy or (allegedly) comedic effect'

Oh, I see. There may be hope for me yet.

ComedyPilot said:
So, is this N-1, N-2 or N-3?

No idea. I have the concept of N+1, is N-1 the opposite?

Gosh I tell you, I thought I was clever, but this Internet bulletin talk malarky is all too much for me to deal with! :ohmy:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
N+1 = I need/want/have bought another bike
N-1 = I am selling a bike.
Similarly, N-2 = I am selling two bikes.
And so on.

What would I do without you eh? :laugh:

I'm N-1ing it currently then, with the potential for a N-2 followed by an N+1

bigdaddybucks

Hi, I was just doing a google search looking for a rigid fork for a Carrera Vulcan, would you mind telling me which fork you plan on using and the axle to crown measurement of it as I am struggling to find any info out there.

Thanks

Lee (new member)

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bigdaddybucks said:
Hi, I was just doing a google search looking for a rigid fork for a Carrera Vulcan, would you mind telling me which fork you plan on using and the axle to crown measurement of it as I am struggling to find any info out there.

Thanks

Lee (new member)

I've gone for a Kona Project 2 fork which I believe is axle to crown 440mm.

The Carrerra Vulcan forks appear to be 100mm travel suspension, and in my search I was going to get one of the following rigid forks which explicitely states they are rigid forks to replace 100mm suspension forks, but I went the el cheapo 2nd hand route instead.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Surly_Instigator_Rigid_Fork/5360015623/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49590

Hope that helps!

bigdaddybucks

Hi, yes that is helpful thanks, I was looking at the instigator and the project 2 as well i was a bit concerned the axle to crown on the P2 might be too short though. too much jargon on too many websites confuses matters even more, nice to find someone who has or is doing the same as me! Main problem for me is finding a secondhand one with a long enough steerer.

Lee

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bigdaddybucks said:
Hi, yes that is helpful thanks, I was looking at the instigator and the project 2 as well i was a bit concerned the axle to crown on the P2 might be too short though. too much jargon on too many websites confuses matters even more, nice to find someone who has or is doing the same as me! Main problem for me is finding a secondhand one with a long enough steerer.

Lee

Axle to crown the P2 forks are shorter than the forks on the vulcan. However the steerer on the forks I got is a lot longer than the original forks. I've only added extra spacers which has compensated height wise.

bigdaddybucks

Hi, one more question for you if you don't mind, have you noticed much difference with the ride and handling now it is rigid? I've just put my Vulcan back together and had forgotten how good it is considering it is from Halfords!!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bigdaddybucks said:
Hi, one more question for you if you don't mind, have you noticed much difference with the ride and handling now it is rigid? I've just put my Vulcan back together and had forgotten how good it is considering it is from Halfords!!

It's a harsher ride now on bad surfaces (we went on a rutted grass track today and I noticed the difference), but not noticed a difference in handling etc. It may be my imagination but I do appear to be getting a better average time on that bike now. The rigid forks I have are a lot lighter. Definitely better than the suspension forks for what I want it for. Next step is putting slicks on it. I replaced the 2.1 knobblies months back with 1.75 Continental travel contacts (semi-slicks). Now I've ordered 1.5 Schwlabe City Jets, so we shall see how they perform on the road. I've read good reviews so they shouldn't disappoint. I might eventually shorten the bars as I find them a bit wide, then my commuting winter hack should be complete to my satisfaction ;).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If I might make an obvious suggestion here - shorten them a bit at a time. It's easy to take another inch off, but trickier trying to stick it back on.
*been there, done that, got T-Shirt*
[/teaching Granny to suck eggs]

Top Bottom