I just had an uninvited companion in the shower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
He had eight legs and appeared after I'd been in there for a minute or so. He crawled around the shower tray which was very unsporting as it's only a metre square so I didn't have many places to put my feet to escape him. He was quite large, as arachnids go.

In the end I flushed him down the plughole, secure in the knowledge that he would probably climb out again in due course. I didn't want to kill him as he probably does a good job of eating various bugs in the house and most of his relatives live here anyway so it's not like it would make a great deal of difference. I don't mind them generally but not when they lurk in places like my towel (got a mega shock one day when drying myself off after a shower) or on my pillow. The dog enjoys snuffling around them but she's too scared of them to actually dispatch them.

Clearly spider season has started as I've seen several large ones hiding in corners in my house in the last few days.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this thread is no good without pics. I suggest you stage a reconstruction. Use a bar of soap as the spider - one kick and it will chase you around the tray in ana manner that we will find completely believable.....

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
dellzeqq said:
this thread is no good without pics.
giant-house-spider.jpg

73236920_9ed92de0c1.jpg

softpeadals

I killed one the other day by accident. He'd been around that long that I'd even given him a name, Spencer.
Anyroad, as he was getting to be a bit adventurous, like too close to the bedding, I decided to put him outside, and whilst i was trying to capture him in the spider trap gizmo he made a run for it at exactly the wrong moment and I regret to say suffered fatal injuries.
I felt really rotten for hours after.

redjedi

Über Member
Cathryn said:
NO, PHOTOS ARE NECESSARY!!!!

tut tut....punctuation Cathryn :thumbsdown:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Arrrrgh! Nightmare-super-freak-out-time :ohmy:xx( Would have moved like a very fast, slippery, wet thing in that situation.

colly

Re member eR
montage said:
Flushing spiders down plugholes DOES kill them :biggrin:

My mrs said only yesterday :
"I didn't want to kill it so I flushed it down the plughole."

I asked her how she thought it wouldn't kill the spider and she said ..........."well it will just walk out through the pipe."

Give me strength!

montage

God Almighty
colly said:
My mrs said only yesterday :
"I didn't want to kill it so I flushed it down the plughole."

I asked her how she thought it wouldn't kill the spider and she said ..........."well it will just walk out through the pipe."

Give me strength!

I find the spiders are far happier if relocated to a younger siblings room. Actually....spiders are HUGELY intelligent creatures. There was once a spider in the top right hand corner of my room...faily big, skinny fella. Distinctive because one of his legs was damaged/cut short. Although I left him there for a while, and he was doing no harm, I eventually decided that he needed to see more of the world, and so put him outside my window onto the roof. Two days later, in exactly the same spot as before - he is there again! So I let him stay a few days, just hope that he doesn't become one of those statistics (i.e. on average people swallow 11 spiders during their sleep and crap like that) before relocating him, this time taking him to the some bushes on the road just outside my front garden. He returned :biggrin::ohmy:...same spot!!....So then I took him to the bottom of the garden, put him in the hedge...and yes...he returned within a week, same spider with a damaged leg, same spot in my room. This time I picked him up, went on a 20 minute walk with mr spider in my hand before placing him in a dense bushline near the sea. I hope he is doing well and has met a nice Mrs Spider.

For this reason, I never kill spiders, just relocate them. Most I just throw out the window and never see again. Mr Spider was special.

Bman

Guru
Did you check to see if Mr. Spider had a tiny human face!?

After all, you say most of them dont come back :biggrin:

Top Bottom