I just had an uninvited companion in the shower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
I find the spiders are far happier if relocated to a younger siblings room. Actually....spiders are HUGELY intelligent creatures. There was once a spider in the top right hand corner of my room...faily big, skinny fella. Distinctive because one of his legs was damaged/cut short. Although I left him there for a while, and he was doing no harm, I eventually decided that he needed to see more of the world, and so put him outside my window onto the roof. Two days later, in exactly the same spot as before - he is there again! So I let him stay a few days, just hope that he doesn't become one of those statistics (i.e. on average people swallow 11 spiders during their sleep and crap like that) before relocating him, this time taking him to the some bushes on the road just outside my front garden. He returned :ohmy::ohmy:...same spot!!....So then I took him to the bottom of the garden, put him in the hedge...and yes...he returned within a week, same spider with a damaged leg, same spot in my room. This time I picked him up, went on a 20 minute walk with mr spider in my hand before placing him in a dense bushline near the sea. I hope he is doing well and has met a nice Mrs Spider.

For this reason, I never kill spiders, just relocate them. Most I just throw out the window and never see again. Mr Spider was special.

You waisted all that time on one spider? Your a fool. Should of just squashed the bugger.:biggrin::rofl::rolleyes:
I personally prefere to catch them in a cup, and show mention it to my mum as im walking past or near her:laugh: She does make alot of noise then:laugh::laugh:

User1314 said:
Looks like Boris Johnson doing a Tarzan impression.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I remember seeing something in a nature programme about it. Apparently the spiders curl their legs in and it gives them a little air bubble that they float on, or something.

I shall see if he's back in the shower tomorrow morning. Given some warning, I could catch him and pop him outside.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Auntie Helen said:
I remember seeing something in a nature programme about it. Apparently the spiders curl their legs in and it gives them a little air bubble that they float on, or something.

I shall see if he's back in the shower tomorrow morning. Given some warning, I could catch him and pop him outside.

Poor thing, It would be like a human going over the top of Niagra Falls.:laugh:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
montage said:
I hope he is doing well and has met a nice Mrs Spider.

Actually, the really big ones are all females.

She probably did eventually meet a nice Mr Spider, and after copulating with him, sucked him dry for dinner.

Not nice, spiders.

yenrod

Auntie Helen said:
He had eight legs and appeared after I'd been in there for a minute or so. He crawled around the shower tray which was very unsporting as it's only a metre square so I didn't have many places to put my feet to escape him. He was quite large, as arachnids go.

In the end I flushed him down the plughole, secure in the knowledge that he would probably climb out again in due course. I didn't want to kill him as he probably does a good job of eating various bugs in the house and most of his relatives live here anyway so it's not like it would make a great deal of difference. I don't mind them generally but not when they lurk in places like my towel (got a mega shock one day when drying myself off after a shower) or on my pillow. The dog enjoys snuffling around them but she's too scared of them to actually dispatch them.

Clearly spider season has started as I've seen several large ones hiding in corners in my house in the last few days.

How did you know its was a Male spider ????

yenrod

73236920_9ed92de0c1.jpg

Looks like she's got a black box for a blondie ?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
If you don't like spiders much, get a cat. Mine loves to play with them for a while and then eventually she has them as a tasty snack. There was a monster in the bath a year ago that she enjoyed - you could hear it crunch as she ate it, and she had legs sticking out of the sides of her mouth. When she was done, all that was left in the bath was a big, solitary, hairy spider-leg.

I've got Celia the Cistern Spider in the bathroom though - been there for a few years now. She's spun a web inside the toilet cistern, and I see here every so often when I take the lid off to drop in another cleaning block. How she catches anything to eat in there I'll never know !

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
goo_mason said:
you could hear it crunch as she ate it, and she had legs sticking out of the sides of her mouth. When she was done, all that was left in the bath was a big, solitary, hairy spider-leg.

:biggrin: :tongue:

My lunch is coming up!!!

I don't like spiders much but I don't kill them. Got a nifty little spider-catcher. ;)

Top Bottom