I love our lift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
I really like paternoster lifts. They are on a belt and they continuously go up (and down), albeit at a slow pace. I know I few people who claim to have gone over the top in one, but I've always been too chicken myself.

Leicester University had one but I don't know whether it's still in use. They had to slow it down on open days so as not to put off new users. One member of staff said he'd rather take the stairs on those days:laugh:.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
While it wasn't working, were you not tempted to stick a sign on it, saying "This Otis Regrets it's Unable to Lift Today"?:biggrin:
If I had a wet fish I'd slap you with it for that gag....:biggrin:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
TheDoctor said:
Schindler make lifts too.
Nothing like realising you're in Schindlers lift... :biggrin:
I first noticed that many years ago when I was a postie. It made my day. :biggrin:

Baggy was at Leicester Uni. I don't think she ever rode the paternoster though.

Mr Pig

I love my brick

200px-I_Love_My_Brick%2521.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bongman said:
C'mon people! We're cyclists! How many floors are you taking that lift!? :becool:
You beat me to it!

I used to work on the top floor of a renovated textile mill. The entrance to the building was on the ground floor. A few times, colleagues in the lift held the doors open for me as I came in the entrance next to the lift but I told them that I preferred to use the stairs. I'd run up 4 double flights of stairs and be standing smiling by the lift entrance on the top floor when they arrived. One guy looked shell-shocked once and asked "How the hell did you do that!"

Uncle Mort said:
I really like paternoster lifts. They are on a belt and they continuously go up (and down), albeit at a slow pace. I know I few people who claim to have gone over the top in one, but I've always been too chicken myself.
They had one in the (now demolished) Tower building at Salford University. I rode it over the top to see what happened. (Answer: nothing much!)

They aren't exactly designed for the elderly or disabled...

Top Bottom