I think i've made a mistake with the gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Isn't telling someone who wants a triple chainset that he can manage perfectly well with a double exactly what the bike shop did in the first place? :wacko:
Ah, so should we all blindly agree with the current fads and fashions even when we disagree? :rolleyes: But what do I know? My bottom gear is usually about 40" :eek: but I'd rather walk than grind my teeth.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can I suggest you return to the shop - rather than phoning them.

As you've named them on here I'd suggest a face-to-face discussion explaining the issues potentially is best as a first resort.

Like others a 25 max. rear cassette swapped with a 28/30 one is initially easier. It's also the simplest swap.

Changing to a triple involves crankset, left shifter, bottom bracket, front derailleur and chain being changed.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Dont sell the bike you can almost definitely achieve same ratios with a compact double which is what you have.

Look closely at your rear gear cassette and the largest ring on it.either count the teeth or look for a number stamped on the cog.the larger that cog is the lower (easier) thegear.

Ask bike shop to change the cassette for a larger one.

A 32 tooth cog will give you similar to most triples a 34 will enable you to climb everest.

You will need a new chain and possibly a new derailleur.tell the shop you want a good discount on these as basically the bike was mis sold to you .

Sell the old bits on ebay as barely used or ask shop to take them as a trade in deal.

Not being rude but we must live on different planets as far as cycling & hills are concerned if that's what you believe.

Last week I went up several hundreds of metres of steep hill that was up to 10.5-15.9% according to my GPS but in excess of 20% according to my OS map.

I did it with 34x30 and it was very hard for me. Not saying I'm the fittest guy on the block but I am fairly fit but no way would another 2 teeth allow me to get up Kirkstone/Honister/Hardknott/Wrynose - let alone Everest!

SpokeyDokey

Another issue is of course if he's sold you a cyclocross bike with cantilever brakes that is likely to be way heavier than a carbon or even aluminium road bike which will also be making a difference.

What tyres does it have on, cyclocross tyres are wider, heavier, knobbly and slower

Really? Have you weighed a decent CX vs a decent road bike. What's the weight difference - 0.5 Kg when I last did. Hardly 'way' heavier.

ayceejay

Guru
It is difficult to say whether the shop just wanted to pass this bike off on you knowing that it would not be suitable or whether they incompetently thought that it would be right, either way the result is the same.You need to take it back. If everything else is good apart from the gearing a decent shop will work with you to find what combination of chain rings and cassette will work best but if you also have wide heavy tyres and wheels this won't help either. What bike is it Accy, you probably got it cheap because it is a previous years model - right?

SpokeyDokey

That's the very reason I switched to a MTB - I've got a number of great rides in the Yorkshire Dales that I just can't do on my road bike. I used to be able to do Buttertubs on 40x25 but now its 22x34.....tempus fugit

This ^^^^ is sensible.

Wish I hadn't sold my lovely Pace with its 24x32ish (can't remember exactly) low gear - I could get up hills that are now denied to me.

Next bike I have will be a triple

MissyR

My partner just changed cassette and dérailleur on her road bike to give her more chance of spinning on hills. She had an 11-28 and changed out to a medium cage and an 11-32 cassette now she spins away quit the thing (leaving me puffing and panting away on my 11-28). I ordered chain and cassette from chain reaction as a package deal of £34 and the rear mech was £24 or something like that.

Get the shop who sold you a stupidly wong setup confirm what it goes up to. A 32 or 34 cassette would be ideal.

For an average biker, 34/25 for hilly terrain is plain wrong.

Average biker, what is one of those? In my experience form CC rides I have attended the range of experience / ability is huge, and so it is with gearing. Never mind a 34 inner, I don't much like a 39 inner as I constantly [when riding my geared bike] find myself between the big and small chainring without cross chaining, although it is now a common sight to see people on road bikes cycling with their chain on the big ring and biggest sprocket, not a happy sight for me at least. Give me a 52/42 and 12-25 combination on anything from 8 to 10 speed, don't see the need for 11 speed though before long this will be the most prolific available until of course 12 speed comes along.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1 for a wider range rear cassette as option 1 IF @Accy cyclist does want to keep this bike (not sure from his posts), glad to see a couple of people have mentioned the rear derailleur.

I expect with a 25 tooth 1st gear it is a short cage rear derailleur (road bike style)

AC, apologies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, if you do go for an easier rear cassette then make sure you do your homework first then be ready when you go in to discuss the rear derailleur and whether that too needs to be changed to a long cage (the jockey wheel arm is longer, MTB style) and don't forget the chain will likely need lengthening irrespective of rear mech, rule of thumb: 1 link = 2 teeth. IMO with odd no jumps it's better to add an extra link in the first instance so 25 to 28 = +2, to 30 = +3 and then remove one if it feels a bit sloppy. I'm not fan of half links when there is a derailleur to manage minor variations.

Edit : a little bit of Sheldon wisdom

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/lowgears.html

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Isn't telling someone who wants a triple chainset that he can manage perfectly well with a double exactly what the bike shop did in the first place? :wacko:
Not really. The shop sold him a bike they should have known would be tough on hills for him. People are now telling him what to do to rectify the situation .

The OP doesn't necessarily need a triple to achieve the ratios he needs/wants.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, if you are aiming for a scenic climb, Birdy Brow beats Whalley Nab hands down. Whalley Nab just leads to Great Harwood, Birdy Brow you have lots of options at the top. They are about the same difficulty, the Nab probably just shades it, it's is hard at the start then eases off, Birdy Bros steep section is towards the top of the climb.
I have done all the surrounding roads but for some reason missed out those two climbs. I'll have a go soon, and maybe chuck in Jeffrey Hill too! (I have descended JH from Longridge Fell but never climbed it.)

As for Accy cyclist's problem ... I think the shop should certainly try to make amends for selling him the wrong bike, maybe by fitting a triple at cost price or taking the bike back and selling him one that suits him better.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to see a friend this afternoon who works at Evans Cycles in Preston. He said more or less what others have said on here, that the cassette isn't suitable for my needs. He suggested taking the bike back to the shop and explaining what i was hoping to get and telling them i'm not happy with what i ended up with. He says that a 28 tooth cassette will be a lot better than the one on now but not quite as good as a triple chainset. He said if they're a decent enough outfit they'll change the cassette for me and labour shouldn't be a problem as it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. He also said that he has a Shimano 28 tooth105 cassette that he'll fit for me if the shop owners aren't too friendly about my problem. He says i can try it out for a fortnight while he's on holiday then if it's suitable i can have it for 20 quid.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I went to see a friend this afternoon who works at Evans Cycles in Preston. He said more or less what others have said on here, that the cassette isn't suitable for my needs. He suggested taking the bike back to the shop and explaining what i was hoping to get and telling them i'm not happy with what i ended up with. He says that a 28 tooth cassette will be a lot better than the one on now but not quite as good as a triple chainset. He said if they're a decent enough outfit they'll change the cassette for me and labour shouldn't be a problem as it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. He also said that he has a Shimano 28 tooth105 cassette that he'll fit for me if the shop owners aren't too friendly about my problem. He says i can try it out for a fortnight while he's on holiday then if it's suitable i can have it for 20 quid.
That sounds like a plan if the visit to the original bike shop doesnt work out. I've a 105 12-28 on my proper racer, though tbh I probably avoid the steepest of hills on that bike as it has a 39 inner ring at the front. If you're very fit/accustomed to those hills and using a 34 on the front you might find it alright.. thing is to test it/your legs I 'spose

Top Bottom