I think i've made a mistake with the gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have done all the surrounding roads but for some reason missed out those two climbs. I'll have a go soon, and maybe chuck in Jeffrey Hill too! (I have descended JH from Longridge Fell but never climbed it.

Try climbing Jeffrey Hill from Ribchester. Quite an exercise. The hill seems to have a concave shape: it gets steeper as you ascend! Lived in Longridge so very fond of Longridge Fell on the MTB, and the back of Chipping, down to Whitewell and around on the road bike! As for Birdy Br. Didn't quite make it beyond the hairpin, so had to walk the final few yards to quell the din in my ears. From the circulation at 100%:smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[Sorry for the thread hijacking! :whistle:]

Try climbing Jeffrey Hill from Ribchester. Quite an exercise. The hill seems to have a concave shape: it gets steeper as you ascend! Lived in Longridge so very fond of Longridge Fell on the MTB, and the back of Chipping, down to Whitewell and around on the road bike! As for Birdy Br. Didn't quite make it beyond the hairpin, so had to walk the final few yards to quell the din in my ears. From the circulation at 100%:smile:
Yes, I have done it from the south side. I haven't done it from the north side, which I think is steeper.

I have just plotted a 110 km route which goes up Birdy Brow, Jeffrey Hill from the north, Whalley Nab, Nick o'Pendle from the Clitheroe side, Black Hill/Padiham Heights and various other easier climbs. I'll try to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

I will definitely need my triple to cope with that route without being completely done in by it, and I can see why Accy wants a triple too, living round there!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No way is a 34x28 going to come remotely near a triple with 32/30 on the back

The friend who works at Evans did say it might or might not work for me. He said if it didn't he could convert the bike to a triple for around a hundred quid. Ok i'll be a hundred pounds down but if i sell the bike i'll lose a lot more than that,and i do like the bike despite this problem. That's another lesson learnt in the school of experience my dad would've said.
I'll see what the bike shop says tomorrow.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The current 34x24 bottom gear is about 38"
A 30T cassette will normally be OK with road gears, though specification is 28T. 34x30 is about 30" - about 2 gears lower.
32T can sometimes be made to work, but normally you would have to change the rear mech to allow the top jockey wheel to clear the cassette teeth as it moves into the bottom gear position.
Changing to a 9-speed MTB rear mech will allow a 36T cassette (giving 34x36 = 25"). Note that 10-speed MTB rear mechs use a different cable pull and won't work with your shifters.

After that, it's expensive.
There's a sugino ox601d "touring double" chainset available, which has 110 and 74 mm bolt circles allowing chainrings like 44/28 or whatever (down to 24T). £215, or thereabouts, depending on chainrings.
Or you can change to a triple, which involves a new chainset, new shifters*, new front mech, and new bar tape. Whether you need a new BB depends on what you currently have. * You only actually need the LH front shifter, but they are generally only available in pairs.

A regular, as sold, road triple will give a 30x24 = 33" bottom gear. By changing the inner chainring to 24T and the cassette to 30T, you can go down to 24x30 = 21" without any major expense. I've been riding a 48/38/24 chainset for many years - it works fine.

I'd recommend starting off by going back to the shop and asking to see the manager, prepared for a rant, and aiming for a change of bike. However, it's good to know what the alternative options are.

Buck

Guru
Fingers crossed that the bike shop listen to what your feelings are with this mis-sold bike and they offer a solution that works for you whether that be a new/different bike or changes to your current bike that you're happy with.

Here's hoping for a good outcome and update from you soon :okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went back to the shop today. They offered to swap the rear cassette for a 28,but they wanted nearly £30 for a Tiagra including fitting, so i declined the offer and asked my friend to fit that 105 he had spare. It's a lot better,i tried a small steepish hill on the way home and it's a lot easier than before. I'll put the old cassette on E- Bay and ask 20 quid for it. as it's virtually new.

U

User33236

I went back to the shop today. They offered to swap the rear cassette for a 28,but they wanted nearly £30 for a Tiagra including fitting,
Sounds like pretty poor service from the shop. They miss-sell you a bike and then want to charge parts AND labour to try and put their wrongs right?!!!

Glad you have a fix via your friend.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sounds like pretty poor service from the shop. They miss-sell you a bike and then want to charge parts AND labour to try and put their wrongs right?!!!

Glad you have a fix via your friend.

When i said that i felt i'd been sold the wrong bike they went quiet but to be honest i didn't push it as i didn't want any animosity between us. I've heard the shop's up for sale so they can't be making that much, and i've got the problem solved for 20 quid. So i'll draw a line under it.:okay:

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't think you've said what spec the rear derailleur is - Tiagra? Sora?, Long cage, short cage? The new 4700 Tiagra will take up to a 34T rear cog with a long cage mech - that may be the way to go in the future if your gearing is not low enough.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I really hope you end up with what you want and not too much out of pocket.

When I was considering a new bike I had a maximum bottom gear of 30" as a key criterion. Some people in shops looked at me like I was from Mars, and didn't have a clue what I meant. (That doesn't include the experts at Spa Cycles: they were happy to discuss gearing options til the cows came home)

IMO selling bikes with inappropriately high, close range, racy gears as the default (or only) option is a problem in the bike retail industry.

Cubist

Still wavin'
This ^^^^ is sensible.

Wish I hadn't sold my lovely Pace with its 24x32ish (can't remember exactly) low gear - I could get up hills that are now denied to me.

Next bike I have will be a triple
Aah, an opportunity to talk about MTB gearing. One hardtail has 2x10, 38 24 on a 11-36 cassette, the other hardtail has a 32t ring with an 11-42 cassette, and the bouncer has a 32t ring, an 11-40 cassette, and a secret 26t granny ring. No mech, but if I can't make it up stuff with 32 40 I have an option to hand change the chain onto the granny.:ph34r:

Top Bottom