Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
Ian May bikes are still around. A friend of mine has a blue and white one which I haven't seen yet, he collects bikes, particularly from the Liverpool area, some of which date back to the 50's.

With around 14 complete bikes it's not unusual for him to be riding a bike I've not seen before.

I remember passing the Ian May shop, but never had cause to visit.

I'd love to own a quality steel frame with modern running gear ^_^

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
That's good to know: it would be great to see some pictures!

sittingbull

Veteran
If I get the opportunity I'll take some.

This guy has been collecting bikes for a few decades now and has an interesting collection. Some quite rare I believe.

He's not really interested in anything aluminium or carbon fibre and although mass production has made "quality" bikes readily available (albeit at a price), he'd far rather have a decent vintage bike. He'd really like a Hetchens with curly stays.

RedRider

Pulling through
Ian May bikes are still around. A friend of mine has a blue and white one which I haven't seen yet, he collects bikes, particularly from the Liverpool area, some of which date back to the 50's.

With around 14 complete bikes it's not unusual for him to be riding a bike I've not seen before.
^_^
That's a great sounding collection.

sittingbull

Veteran
I too have an Ian May. Mid 70's (I think). Super retro machine. Original 1st gen Dura Ace Chainset, Shifters and callipers with Crane rear mech. I picked it up without wheels so got a pair of old school Mavics made up for it. Lovely rims, but made up on mid 90's Ultegra hubs. Rides and looks 1st class - I love it. However, decided to address some surface rust so stripped the frame and gave it to a mate to paint over a year ago - must ask for it back.

Philip Osler

Just picked this up yesterday looking forward to getting her back on the road, might start tonight!

2012-09-11175224.jpg

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Looks nice! How much did you pay and where from?

We'll have to start an Ian May owners club...

Philip - that frame looks similar to the one I own. The original paint job was a nice dark metallic blue that I think was supposed to blend down to a lighter blue and then back to the dark blue again. However, it looked a bit like he/they were trying to save paint. It will get painted solid dark metallic blue. Does your frame have Campagnolo rear drop out's?
When I stripped the frame down I removed the frame decals without taking a good close up with a ruler in the shot. Can someone please help me by taking a scaled shot of their IAN MAY FRAME STICKERS including the round head tube one please?

An owners club would be a good idea, but we could do with a member that could tell us some more about the bikes, frame numbers etc. A friend of a friend grew up on the Wirral and reckons that he knew a few people with Ian May bikes. He told me his Dad knew a bit about the man himself and also said he is no longer with us.

Going to have a look for a good photo of mine when it was built up.

Philip Osler

Picked it up from mold although the chap lived in Abergele, he was told the frame was from the mid 80's and the new bike cost approx £400 pound back in the day. Payed £100 for it, its 531 tubing and does feel light.

Owners club sounds good we just need an expert!!

I could measure the stickers on mine although they do vary between the two bikes!

Phil

Don't worry Phil,

Just found some "as acquired pics" on a portable hard drive. I do have some better ones somewhere after some extra TLC. I should be able to get the decals sorted from the pics found. Since this pic was taken I have replaced the black dura ace callipers for un-painted alloy dura ace. I am reluctant to pay the mega money people are wanting for original first gen dura ace seat post, but may if I can find one for less than £50. I have an old Campagnolo Record fluted post which may be at odds with the Shimano stuff, but is much nicer than the black one pictured.

Problem is I don't know the history or exact age of the bike. I made a mildly educated guess at mid seventies due to the age (but like new) 70's dura ace stuff. There was only half a Reynolds sticker that I removed the first time I cleaned it. It definatley started with a 5, but could only see a tiny bit of the second number. As I guessed at a 70's frame I have purchased some 501 decals!?!
Shaun_Gelling

Philip Osler

Your bike looks spot on mate, I've just dropped mine in this afternoon should be ready early next week, it's getting the shimano sora make over! I'm looking forward to getting it back and going for a spin!

Philip Osler

When I stripped the frame down I removed the frame decals without taking a good close up with a ruler in the shot. Can someone please help me by taking a scaled shot of their IAN MAY FRAME STICKERS including the round head tube one please?

Hello are you planning on getting some custom decals made once your bike is sorted? I'd be interested in getting some also!

phil

Top Bottom