Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip Osler

I've done it again this is my last one now, picked up this, this afternoon on my way home from work, the reynolds 531 decals date from 1973-1977 (from http://www.hlloydcycles.com/531 history.pdf). The colour is really growing on me, although I think I'll powdercoat it (may be the same colour), what you think? oh and this one does have Campagnolo rear drop out's.

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

not buying any frames for a while now :blush:, Phil

sittingbull

Veteran
That's good to know: it would be great to see some pictures!

That's a great sounding collection.
I got the opportunity to take some photographs of Ken's bikes and have started a thread here.

I still haven't seen the Ian May bike but will take some more when I do ^_^

Just got the hang of picture posting that's a before and after images of my Ian May It had pump pegs on the seat stays. Campag drop outs front and rear and campag cable guides braised on the BB That would put it pre 80s? I visited the shop in Bebbington in the early 90s (but that was for some mtb stuff) I don't remember seeing any road bikes at the time.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The plot thickens!

Browsing Hilary Stone's site, I saw this Simoncini:
"SIMONCINI AERO ROAD FRAME
Seat Tube (ctc): 59cm (23.5in)
Top Tube (ctc): 58cm (23in)
Rear dropout width: 126mm
Wheel size: 700C/sprints with brake drop of 45mm
Seatpost size: 26.8mm
Frame tubing: Oria ML25
This Italian built Simoncini aero road frame is built from Oria ML25 tubing which has been reshaped into aero profiles on the seat and down tubes. I think it dates from the later 1980s. The paint is generally very good with just a few small areas that could do with being touched up. £145"

The only differences with mine, that I can see, are that it takes a 26.8mm seatpost (mine is 27.2mm) and it has lugged forks. It's even the same size!

Does anyone know if Simoncini were in the habit of building frames for others?

If nothing else it, and the blurb for the Jan Janssen listed below it, confirms that during the late Eighties/early Nineties, reshaping tubes into an aero profile wasn't so uncommon.

I'm tempted to buy it, just to be able to compare the two...

wakou

Über Member

xxxlippyxxx

It's great to see so many people interested in Ian may . Am only 27 and I had been hunting for mine for years. Looks good though mate good job

Mick Wilson

Just picked one up today from a charity bicycle workshop. 531 tubing, campagnolo everything and Mavic wheels. How do I load the photo onto this site?

Top Bottom