Ken's bike collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
I mentioned in another thread that a friend of mine (Ken) had an Ian May cycle (the subject of that thread) amongst his collection. There was some interest in seeing the rest of his collection so today when Ken asked me for some help in identifying 2 of his frames I took the opportunity to photograph a few more besides. This represents about a quarter of the collection :smile:

All photos are current except for the Quinn which has since been re-painted.

First he'd appreciate any help in identifying "the yellow one". Note the unusual way the seat stays meet the seat tube and the word "brands" on the fork crown. The spade symbol on the BB is characteristic of Mario Confente but not characteristic enough :sad:

All equipment was Campagnolo and the front mechanism is marked "Avanti".

Any ideas what it might be?

ken1.jpg

ken2.jpg

ken3.jpg

ken4.jpg

ken5.jpg

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
He'd also appreciate any help in identifying a Quinn frame. Apparently there are several possibilities (********* Quinn). This particular frame is stamped "273".

ken6.jpg

ken7.jpg

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
This is a Whitcomb (Liverpool), it's been cold set and has modern running gear:

ken12.jpg

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
This is a Claud Butler Saxon from 1953, note the "split" seat tube, I think it's his favourite although the Fothergill comes pretty close:

ken17.jpg

ken18.jpg

When I get the opportunity I'll take some photos of the remainder of the collection as and when I see them.

He's still after more bikes from the Liverpool area so if you know of any available please PM me.

^_^

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Wow! What a collection.

The yellow frame is intriguing. The seat cluster is a style known as "fastback" and points towards a good quality build, but isn't unique; however the brake bridge doesn't look to be much more than a drilled tube.

The position of the bottom bracket and chain stay cable guides and the fact it has top tube cable guides and bottle bracket mounts suggest it was built in the Seventies.

Avanti was low-end early Nineties Campagnolo kit, the cable stops on the down tube shifter braze-ons are for Ergo/STi shifters and the Cinelli logo is the later style so clearly someone has re-fitted it with later components at some point.

I've never seen the bottom bracket marked in that way before: normally they are cut out rather than being engraved.

There is enough there that I think you stand a good chance of getting an ID: start a thread on retrobike.

Teuchter

Über Member
I can't offer any identification help but I'm afraid. Just wanted to voice my appreciation of this very nice collection of bikes! Some of them are in stunning condition for their age.

Top Bottom