Ken's bike collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Great idea to collect these local bikes, I'd love to own one myself. To my mind they deserve an exhibition in the Museum of Liverpool somewhere down the line.

insouciant

Veteran
Amazing collection.

I clicked 'Like' on the Fothergill one and then realised I actually like them all...

The Sirius and the Soens are highly attractive!

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated and have been passed on to Ken (who is not on the internet but will hopefully get to see this) :smile:

Just to add a little more information and feedback from Ken:

....the yellow one was a skip find.

....the Quinn looks like being a "Harry" although it apparently makes a difference to the restoration as to which "Harry" it was, this one does not have a Q after the frame number which implies Harry Quinn jnr.

....the Fothergill had bent forks (now aligned) and has been professionally painted.

....the Soens was a skip find and has been re-sprayed.

....the Whitcomb was a skip find (frame only in very good condition, no forks)

....the Tierney has been re-sprayed.

....the Sirius was a skip find and has been re-sprayed.

....the Claud Butler Saxon was a skip find in very poor condition (frame and forks) and has been professionally painted.

^_^

Some super frames there my mate had a Fothergill track frame back in the late 60s at least we thought it was a track frame could easily have been a path frame, still it was featherlight and had horizontal dropouts and nervex lugs as the one pictured.

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
I found out today there's a problem with the wheels for the Fothergill re-build, apparently the free wheel cluster was seized (sorted now with the application of some heat). However the Weinmann alloy rims (I thought they would have been steel) are out of true and the spokes/nipples are solid and are having to be cut out.

With the cost of 72 new spokes and the fact the rims aren't in great condition he's now looking for another set of suitable wheels from the 50's, preferably with large flange hubs :smile:

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
Yes he does and yes you almost certainly did see him :thumbsup:

I keep meaning to take some more photos and update this thread. The Fothergill is complete and there have been a few additions, plus those I've not seen or photographed yet. If you see him again say hello and tell him you've seen some of his bikes on here, just make sure you've got plenty of time to talk about bikes ;)

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
Here's Ken's Ian May, it's included in the Ian May thread too :smile:

It's the first bike I've seen with a ""pro tag" - braze on race number holder (on the top tube).

I believe it to be in original condition with the likely exception of the saddle.

ianmay1.jpg

ianmay2.jpg

ianmay3.jpg

ianmay4.jpg

ianmay5.jpg

Top Bottom