Information on type of bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clairefitz79

Hi any help would be gratefully appreciated I have my dads old bike needs washing down but not used and is in great condition once cleaned no rust it’s a rayleigh m trax 2000 handbuilt cromoly does anyone know roughly what this would be worth to sell please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 37

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
At a rough guess, I would think on a good day, you might get £100 for it.
The second hand market is still pretty depressed at the moment.
I take it you don't want it for whatever reason.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sadly not much. Up to the amount quoted above, maybe more if it's a going concern. For those of us in the know on here these are brilliant bikes which can handle road, dirt and all sorts of conditions and aren't burdened with a heavy suspension fork.
The tyres will likely be rotted out but might last a while longer.
Unless you find someone who appreciates how good the these bikes are it's just a old fashioned mountain bike.
Don't forget most people will be looking for a bike they can ride away and use so if you can advertise it as such it will help the sale. This may involve changing gear and brake cables. Make sure the seat post is not seized in the frame.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Very little. Some eroica bikes have value. However 501 was sold as a budget alternative to 531, which,unless prestine makes the value more minimal.

That was always strange to me, as 501 cromo has very similar mechanical properties to 531, so anyone who wanted to could use it to make a frame of virtually identical strength, weight and feel.

I suspect it was done when new to maintain a convenient hierarchy in which they could justify charging more for 531 due to the historic misty--eyed memories it invokes among the buying public, when in actual fact the tubesets are little different in price to purchase bulk or assemble.

OP
OP
C

clairefitz79

Sadly not much. Up to the amount quoted above, maybe more if it's a going concern. For those of us in the know on here these are brilliant bikes which can handle road, dirt and all sorts of conditions and aren't burdened with a heavy suspension fork.
The tyres will likely be rotted out but might last a while longer.
Unless you find someone who appreciates how good the these bikes are it's just a old fashioned mountain bike.
Don't forget most people will be looking for a bike they can ride away and use so if you can advertise it as such it will help the sale. This may involve changing gear and brake cables. Make sure the seat post is not seized in the frame.
Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback really helps

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Very different composition, even if the physical properties are similar. 501 is chromoly, 531 is mang-moly. Generally, 531 isn't welded when making a frame, although anything can be welded with sufficient skill; people were welding 753 back in the day!

Drago

Legendary Member
We know this bud, but the end result is a very similar performer for a very similar price. As aforementioned, my theory is it was done to justify the price hierarchy.

Top Bottom