If Guy Martin can do it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Bit of asnap judgement. Although on the face of it, its not great driving, but more likely to have been doing 80+ on the motorway than screaming past schools at 40mph at turning out time. Yes speeding is speeding in the eyes of the law, but one is going to have more devastating consequences.
It was actually that he was driving a transit van which is classed as a commercial vehicle, which means strictly speaking at the time of the offenses he was restricted to 50mph on National Speed Limit roads & 60mph on Dual Carriage ways https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits How many WVM know or abide by those.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Bit of asnap judgement. Although on the face of it, its not great driving, but more likely to have been doing 80+ on the motorway than screaming past schools at 40mph at turning out time. Yes speeding is speeding in the eyes of the law, but one is going to have more devastating consequences.

Quite rightly CCers heavily criticise the salesman with a load of points who is allowed to keep driving as "it will affect his livelihood". This is no different. Who's to say that his speeding was on a motorway or in a 20 zone past a school?

What I don't like are double standards. Good old Guy with his funny accent and his hilarious sideburns so we can overlook the fact that he is a serial speeding offender whereas the salesman with the same track record is, quite rightly, castigated here

He had 21 points which would correspond to 7 speeding convictions within a 2 year period. That's atrocious

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Quite rightly CCers heavily criticise the salesman with a load of points who is allowed to keep driving as "it will affect his livelihood". This is no different. Who's to say that his speeding was on a motorway or in a 20 zone past a school?

What I don't like are double standards. Good old Guy with his funny accent and his hilarious sideburns so we can overlook the fact that he is a serial speeding offender whereas the salesman with the same track record is, quite rightly, castigated here

He had 21 points which would correspond to 7 speeding convictions within a 2 year period. That's atrocious
I didn't know that. I've definitely gone off him. Not that I liked him much to start with.

I've been driving (or at least, have held a licence) for 36 years. I have a total of zero points*. Count them. Strangely enough it doesn't "just happen" to me, and strangely enough I don't drive around in an Aston Martin.

Anyone making use of that "hardship" loophole is a tosser as far as I'm concerned.

* I did get a fine for driving in a bus lane once. Mea culpa. At the time I even ignored the car's inbuilt warning (my wife saying "what the f--- are you doing?") which makes it worse.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4586834, member: 9609"]He is truly an outstanding athlete. Tour Divide was 2712 miles +185,000' ascent in 18 days. That is averaging 150mile + 10,000 foot of ascent per day (equivalent 250 flat miles per day) And I understand most of this was not on tarmac and self supporting. That is an awesome achievement.[/QUOTE]

He does very well in the 24 hour MTB race up your way each year as well. The Strathpuffer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Can't believe some of the comments , one if the most genuine guys on TV , not self obsessed unlike most presenters , so what he's had some points , so have I , Doesn't make me a prick....
Go watch something else if u don't like him
completely agree, too many self righteous brothers on here. I've had points or a SAC for 33 on a fenced off urban dual carriageway and for doing 56 on the M25 when the variables changed to 50. Neither makes me a menace to society. If GM has been doing 70 in a transit and getting pulled over,.so what?

Can't believe some of the comments , one if the most genuine guys on TV , not self obsessed unlike most presenters , so what he's had some points , so have I , Doesn't make me a prick....
Go watch something else if u don't like him

I agree with you fully, but be careful about making a statement like that in the cafe (not that I think you're a prick). :smile:

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
completely agree, too many self righteous brothers on here. I've had points or a SAC for 33 on a fenced off urban dual carriageway and for doing 56 on the M25 when the variables changed to 50. Neither makes me a menace to society. If GM has been doing 70 in a transit and getting pulled over,.so what?

Agree totally.... think the those 'warriors' who love to criticise just have nothing else to do but see the bad in everything... oh I have 3 points.. sure someone will call me a prick for that..lol

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Agree totally.... think the those 'warriors' who love to criticise just have nothing else to do but see the bad in everything... oh I have 3 points.. sure someone will call me a prick for that..lol

We're talking about someone with 21 points in less than 24 months and using the "my livelihood would be affected" card to avoid a ban

I totally get that some people like his on screen persona. But please don't be an apologist for what is an atrocious driving record on a cycling forum

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
We're talking about someone with 21 points in less than 24 months and using the "my livelihood would be affected" card to avoid a ban

I totally get that some people like his on screen persona. But please don't be an apologist for what is an atrocious driving record on a cycling forum
Yep your right i do apologise.The initial thread was about guy Martin and his achievement on last night's programme.
I did get away with doing 93 in a 50 once by using the 'Afghanistan card' and I wouldn't be back to attend court..which I couldnt...but heh that makes me a bad person..lol

Top Bottom