If Guy Martin can do it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
back to the more important stuff, is there any reports of GMs progress around Britain, or are they doing a news blackout ahead if the programme on C4 schedule for just after Xmas. 28th or 29th from memory

D

Deleted member 26715

back to the more important stuff, is there any reports of GMs progress around Britain, or are they doing a news blackout ahead if the programme on C4 schedule for just after Xmas. 28th or 29th from memory
Probably but they are also probably doing it so that all the nutters & fans don't try to screw it up by either trying to stop him by wanting autographs, photographs or trying to ride with him & wanting to talk, I get the feeling he likes to retreat inside his head & just do it, not analyse it with every Tom Dick, or Harriet

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Probably but they are also probably doing it so that all the nutters & fans don't try to screw it up by either trying to stop him by wanting autographs, photographs or trying to ride with him & wanting to talk, I get the feeling he likes to retreat inside his head & just do it, not analyse it with every Tom Dick, or Harriet
As always there would be a minority of 'idiots' that woul spoil things, but why post the video the other day saying he is doing it, why not wait till he's done it? It's a shame though, he would have passed within a 100m or so from my house on Sunday, I'd have cheered him by, had i known, :blush: or maybe i'm one of said idiots lol

Reactions: mjr

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I do find his programmes quite watchable, but he is a master of self-promotion. For a man who never won a TT he somehow invented himself as the face of the TT. And some of the record attempts have been bloody pitiful. The tandem bike thing was pretty rubbish, and the human powered water speed record was an utter embarrassment. Not that I could do any better, I suppose. (Cross between Wolverine and Fred Dibnah, according to my mate Andy.)

D

Deleted member 26715

I do find his programmes quite watchable, but he is a master of self-promotion. For a man who never won a TT he somehow invented himself as the face of the TT.
I'm not sure that he has done this, I think it's the media that has done it for him, the rest of the serious races don't have the personality.
And some of the record attempts have been bloody pitiful. The tandem bike thing was pretty rubbish, and the human powered water speed record was an utter embarrassment.
Yes I think you are right, but I also think he was more embarrassed than everybody else certainly than the brains in Lincoln.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I do find his programmes quite watchable, but he is a master of self-promotion. For a man who never won a TT he somehow invented himself as the face of the TT. And some of the record attempts have been bloody pitiful. The tandem bike thing was pretty rubbish, and the human powered water speed record was an utter embarrassment. Not that I could do any better, I suppose. (Cross between Wolverine and Fred Dibnah, according to my mate Andy.)
He has won just about all the other road races though, just hasn't happened at the TT, and had some pretty major accidents, some of his competitors haven't, exception being Ian Hutchinson, who has had terrible leg injuries and made a winning comeback, but have you heard him talk, he just hasn't got the "fizz" or outward enthusiasm of Martin (and that's no disrespect to Hutchy).

Triple3

Many Ulster GP wins amongst others and anyone who so much as lines up on a TT grid is a winner. As @Justinslow says, the media have created the "Guy Martin" TT Face not him but he has the personality and very few others have. All amazingly talented racers though.
His best chance was with Tyco BMW and it just did not happen for him. Dunlop, Hutchinson live and breath the TT snd its the biggest thing in the calendar to them. Maybe they are willing to push just that bit more and dunlop regularly says he knows he will die racing and push harder and further taking more risks. Guy Martin appears to have more he was to do and achieve other than just the TT but no one can say he is not a successful road racer

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I'm not overly keen on the bloke, I have followed the Isle of Man TT for a number of years, and he got himself in a right old strop the other year because he missed out on a podium finish due to speeding in the pit lane. He believed that he should have got away with it, and although it was a fraction of a mph, rules are rules.

And as we know in any top level competition, thousands of a second can make a vast difference.

As for my licence, it's the first time that I've not had any points on for some time, but that is partly due to being told that next time I get caught over-stepping the mark I'll be eating porridge and doing my best not to drop the soap in the shower

To be fair it was 0.1mph over the "limit"..

keithmac

Guru

He had a go though and to a lot of people that's what matters!.

The blokes a genuine working class lad who doesn't shy awY from a challenge, did anyone see his wall of death recrord?.

He'll have a go regardless of win.or lose, that in itself is an admirable trait..

I'm not as conversant with racing bikes as I am with cars. Generally with cars (other than historics) the pit lane speed limiter is pre-set, usually for a given gear / rpm. The driver triggers that before crossing the white line that denotes the "pit in", though they try to leave it as late as possible. It can be a matter of inches that makes the difference between speeding in the pit lane and not speeding in the pit lane.

@Reynard it's much the same with the TT. And as you rightly said, that late braking can make the difference between speeding and not. Whether it is 0.1mph or 001mph. And to complain like Guy Martin did over 0.1 mph is very unprofessional, I think I may be right in saying that he ended up on the lower tier of the podium, (2nd or 3rd) where he took his trophy and stormed off like a precocious child.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
@Reynard it's much the same with the TT. And as you rightly said, that late braking can make the difference between speeding and not. Whether it is 0.1mph or 001mph. And to complain like Guy Martin did over 0.1 mph is very unprofessional, I think I may be right in saying that he ended up on the lower tier of the podium, (2nd or 3rd) where he took his trophy and stormed off like a precocious child.
I don't think he turned up for the podium.....

Top Bottom