In praise of Ned Boulting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've found the Boulting/Millar double act on ITV4 a revelation. Millar offers insights that are intelligible to those of us who have followed cycling for a while and to those of us who are new admirers - and he does so with a winning combination of precision and modesty. Boulting is the mortar that holds Millar's bricks together - his commentary is seamless without being intrusive, and always, always founded on sharp observation. And...the round-up from Gary Imlach is well put together.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've found the Boulting/Millar double act on ITV4 a revelation. Millar offers insights that are as intelligible to those of us who have followed cycling for a while and to those of us who are new admirers - and he does so with a winning combination of precision and modesty. Boulting is the mortar that holds Millar's bricks together - his commentary is seamless without being intrusive, and always, always founded on sharp observation. And...the round-up from Gary Imlach is well put together.
Yup. Going back to Porter and chum for the ToB is like going back to Ribena after claret.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Ribena monster is not looking pleased with that suggestion...
zombie1.png

It's probably my attention span but Ned seems to have been giving out so many rapidfire facts and figures this year that my brain goes numb and I stop listening.

User269

It doesn't matter "what the roads were built for", the point is that they're for all of us to use.

Anyone who pays council tax is paying for them (apart from motorways and some trunk roads).

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It doesn't matter "what the roads were built for", the point is that they're for all of us to use.

Anyone who pays council tax is paying for them (apart from motorways and some trunk roads).
Anyone who pays any sort of general taxation is paying for them (motorways and trunk roads included) ;)

User269

Anyone who pays any sort of general taxation is paying for them (motorways and trunk roads included) ;)
No. All roads apart from motorways and some trunk roads are paid for out of council tax. Motorways and some trunk roads are paid for out of general taxation, which includes vehicle excise duty, income tax, VAT and so on.
I'm surprised how many people pay council tax and never bother finding out where their money goes.
The roads are for all of us to use, whether we pay or not.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Can we please keep this thread to discussing the virtues or otherwise of Ned Boulting's cycling commentary/ books etc and NOT the issue of who has rights/ pays for/ owns/ repairs/ anything else .. the roads.

Thank you.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Although, to be fair, the OP, from October last year was about Ned Bolting talking about who has rights to use the roads.
So do you think it's fair to remind @User269 that on the Vuelta commentary yesterday Boulting praised the smoothness of the Spanish roads, and then remarked that of course that is because in Spain local government actually funds itself from local taxation as opposed to the ludicrous situation in the UK where 75% of council spending is paid for by central government, and there are caps on the amount local councils can raise their council tax each year. So there is no incentive on local councils to do anything other than cut costs.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My ride bro' Jim met Ned Boulting at a Prostate Cancer event a year or two ago. Mr Boulting is an ambassador for the charity. An all-round good egg by all accounts and quite happy to chat with anyone who shows their face.
I've found the Boulting/Millar double act on ITV4 a revelation. Millar offers insights that are intelligible to those of us who have followed cycling for a while and to those of us who are new admirers - and he does so with a winning combination of precision and modesty. Boulting is the mortar that holds Millar's bricks together - his commentary is seamless without being intrusive, and always, always founded on sharp observation. And...the round-up from Gary Imlach is well put together.
I bought Millar's 'The Racer' for a bit of holiday reading. I've read most of the pharmacopeia of cycling reportage, so this was a welcome change - just Millar shooting the shoot about his last year racing in much the same style as his commentary during the quieter bits of GT stages.

Top Bottom