Incident on my ride today with a motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Earlier today went on a 30-40 mile ride to see a few family members (my dad, and my grandfather) in the same village.

The main road is extremely busy, after I'd been to the shops I pulled out and everything was fine, he was at the end of the road near the roundabout (300-350 feet away - the issue occurred a further 1000 feet down the road), I even said hello to a fellow cyclist. I went to the center of the lane a little further up to prevent people overtaking me as there was a lot of oncoming traffic and I didn't want to have a foot or so with cars passing me (which has happened before on this road - that is what I was trying to prevent happening again). The driver (a male) overtook me at speed and stopped sharply in front of me (while shouting every expletive you could think of at me along with his girlfriend and child - probably showing off how masculine he can be telling a 15 year old cyclist off). When I overtook he was still screaming at me but he proceeded to run me off the road (luckily there was a path with I could get on which he couldn't). I'm unsure what to do about the incident.

Is it worth reporting? I have the first half of his registration and a possible full registration after a little bit of searching.

Last edited:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Yes, absolutely report it. Write down everything you can remember about the whole incident, ring 101 and ask to speak to someone at your local station, preferably a traffic officer.

The next person this idiot does this to may end up injured or worse. Glad you are OK.

By the way, if you know the make and model of the car www.eurocarparts.com can confirm the registration. I used it once when I reported a motorist and that was thanks to someone on here.

OP
OP
J

JamesMayesUK

Regular
Yes, absolutely report it. Write down everything you can remember about the whole incident, ring 101 and ask to speak to someone at your local station, preferably a traffic officer.

The next person this idiot does this to may end up injured or worse. Glad you are OK.

By the way, if you know the make and model of the car www.eurocarparts.com can confirm the registration. I used it once when I reported a motorist and that was thanks to someone on here.
I searched the registration from what I could remember. The car I thought it was matched the registration. I'll call 101 now.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I had the same thing once, an incident with an idiot. The police had a word and I was happy with the result. You don't know until you try.

OP
OP
J

JamesMayesUK

Regular
I had the same thing once, an incident with an idiot. The police had a word and I was happy with the result. You don't know until you try.
They're coming (the police) to visit me tomorrow night at 5PM-9PM (within those times). let's hope he gets at least a talking to. I'm not out to get his license revoked or anything like that, just want him to be aware I did nothing wrong and doing what he did isn't legal or appropriate.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Might also be worth doing a YouTube search for the reg number, see if anyone else has crossed paths with the driver before

Reactions: mjr
They're coming (the police) to visit me tomorrow night at 5PM-9PM (within those times). let's hope he gets at least a talking to. I'm not out to get his license revoked or anything like that, just want him to be aware I did nothing wrong and doing what he did isn't legal or appropriate.
Good! And good luck.

It makes my blood boil when "adult" drivers intimidate (sorry!) "kids" on bikes. I teach - and several of my students have had terrifying experiences with drivers. Aye - and not the kids whose cycling I just wouldn't trust. I've had notes from parents enquiring about my camera - so they can get one for their kids. That ............ well, words fail me. Even having to think about such a move for your child's safety! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Good luck.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Hopefully your dad is a bit more level headed than me because if some prat did that to my son it would end in tears. Mine as well probably. Glad you weren't hurt mate.

OP
OP
J

JamesMayesUK

Regular
Might also be worth doing a YouTube search for the reg number, see if anyone else has crossed paths with the driver before
Nothing on youtube as far as I can see.
Good! And good luck.

It makes my blood boil when "adult" drivers intimidate (sorry!) "kids" on bikes. I teach - and several of my students have had terrifying experiences with drivers. Aye - and not the kids whose cycling I just wouldn't trust. I've had notes from parents enquiring about my camera - so they can get one for their kids. That ............ well, words fail me. Even having to think about such a move for your child's safety! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Good luck.
I'm tempted to get a gopro for my helmet for those types of roads through those areas to be honest, whenever I've gone on roads like that it's been around midday when it's not busy and I've been with a group, wasn't expecting it to be so busy at 3:30 when school isn't on yet.

Hopefully your dad is a bit more level headed than me because if some prat did that to my son it would end in tears. Mine as well probably. Glad you weren't hurt mate.
I haven't actually told him yet. I'll tell him later once I've spoken to the police. I can't imagine he'd be impressed with the guy (to say the least).

sidevalve

Über Member
All the above answers are fine but what exactly was he yelling about ? Give everybody some facts to judge on. You say you pulled out to prevent anyone overtaking - was it then, did you just swing out infront as he was about to pass ? Strangely people don't usually start screaming abuse unless they think they have a reason.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
All the above answers are fine but what exactly was he yelling about ? Give everybody some facts to judge on. You say you pulled out to prevent anyone overtaking - was it then, did you just swing out infront as he was about to pass ? Strangely people don't usually start screaming abuse unless they think they have a reason.

Give over. The clue is in your own word - 'abuse'.

OP
OP
J

JamesMayesUK

Regular
I pulled out (I showed I was going to, I did this in good time). It was a minute or so after (when he got close to me) when it started - I was already pulled out.

Top Bottom